Dynamic TV back-light from Gledopto

At last, a reasonably priced alternative to Hue Sync...

Another example of the need for connectivity between HE and Tuya!

Unfortunately this (and hue sync and open source hyperion) won't render HDR signals correctly. The govee one is the most compatible as it uses a camera to capture the screen (although far from perfect either). The only unit that can do this is like 3x the price.

I don't understand why any of these devices like Hyperion need the HDR or even HD signal to do their job accurately. I have video capture device sending a 720p signal to Hyperion to ensure the LEDs are in sync and don't notice any difference in quality of backlighting.

To my layman mind, the LEDs are spaced an inch apart so why do I need a 1080p (or better) resolution? My screen is 108" diagonal and I have about 260 LEDs.

Will this integrate into HE?

They don't. However, no cheap capture devices can decode HDR. Neither can they capture 4K signals directly without some form of downscaling (despite what they may claim). So If you are only watching plain DVDs or blu rays these (including hyperion using cheap USB capture sticks) will work just fine.

If you want to have dynamic backlighting from your 4k BR or netflix feed with HDR turned on, you're out of luck unless you are prepared to spend the $$ on high end capture systems.

The Hue Sync works fine for me on 4k feeds via a Chromecast. The lighting matches the screen quite well enough for a pleasing effect.

1 Like

My apologies, I hadn't realised that the Hue had an update last year that supported HDR. So I retract my comments on the Hue (as such that makes it the cheapest true bias lighting system around!)