[DRIVER] Zooz Smart Plugs Advanced (ZEN04, ZEN05, ZEN14, ZEN15, ZEN20, ZEN25)

Are you using the custom driver or the built in app? What hub model do you have?

C7 with the latest firmware, and I’m using your driver.

I meant what are you using to update the firmware. I assume the built in Hubitat app. If it’s getting stuck I would totally delete the app then reinstall it. Also do a shut down on the hub, pull power for 10 seconds and then boot back up. Also pull the device to restart it and also move it close to hub for updating.

Thanks for the guidance. I removed the app, rebooted the hub, re-installed the app and I was able to install the 1.2 firmware, although it took few attempts and required the plug to be within few feet of the hub.
I’ll check if the 0V reports and missing events issues are resolved. Thanks again.

Reporting back on my previous matter, firmware 1.2 seems to have fix the multiple 0V reporting!

UPDATE

I think I got all the requests in here. I also had an idea from another driver I saw with something similar. If you have a device plugged into this and you want to track its on/off state you can use the new accessory attribute. Just set a power threshold and if the power goes over that value it will set the accessory to on, and off when it goes below. May save having to setup a virtual device. I think I want to add support for the ZEN15 as well, either to this driver or on its own separate one.

NOTE: Setting a parameter from the new command is like setting a temporary parameter. The Preferences will still have the old parameter so if you run a Configure it will set them all back how they were saved in the Preferences.

[1.0.0] - 2022-12-12

Added

• Support to track time for energy reporting and reset it on the device
  • Command to set any parameter (can be used in RM)
  • Optional High/Low tracking, must be turned on in Preferences (ZEN04 Only)
  • Accessory attribute to track connected device state (ZEN04 Only)

Changed

• Increased max precision rounding to 3 decimals
3 Likes

Excellent. The 'beta' version for changing parameters worked great. What's appealing about the Zooz plugs to me is the auto on/off. But, for me, I might like to turn that feature off once in a while for more hands on control. Configure brings it back to 'normal'.

Let me ask a question: Would a power cycle reset the parameter? I'm thinking it would because it basically does a configure when it starts up, no? I have to try it and see if I can answer my own question.

Adding the Zen15 would be awesome.

I have to think more about the accessory feature...

Again, I'm not an expert, but these new capabilities are great.

It normally should not but I have seen a few devices fire off a configure recently (in logs) and I am not sure why. Most of the time the hub would not even be aware if a device gets powered off and then comes back, they do not send anything to the hub saying "hey I'm back".

Installed new driver. Works like a charm. Cycling power did not remove temporary parameter setting. Accessory is cool-have to think of an application. Highs and lows also cool, in my opinion, lol.

The accessory option might be handy for something where you never actually turn the outlet off but you want to track how often the device runs. For example on a different smart plug I have a sump pump connected and I never actually turn the outlet off, but I want to track how often the sump runs. I am using a virtual device for the sump on/off and set that based on the power reports from the plug. Could be useful for many devices where you leave the plug on but just want to track power use and when the device itself is ON.

1 Like

I just messed around with RM and 'accessory'. I managed to control a switch with an If...Then..Else condition with the trigger being accessory 'changed'. Not that I'm complaining...just wondering. It seems to go quite consistently slow (like 30 seconds to recognize 'off'. What's it thinking about? The switch is a GE/Jasco and the outlet is a Zen04.
edit: I just looked at the current state of 'accessory' on the device page, while I was turning the lamps on and off with the pull chain, and it does indeed take awhile to change states, 30 seconds to 'off'. A lot quicker when using the hub or the physical button though.

I'm not sure this'll help:

I noticed that as well, it seems to be a delay in the plug itself reporting the reduction to 0W power. Its almost like it has to go to 0 and stay there for 30 seconds before the plug reports it. Possibly to avoid flooding reports if something is bouncing around a lot?

Wasn't there an issue with 0W in the last firmware version? That was before my time, so to speak, but I think I read something about it. Maybe this behavior is part of the fix.

They had an issue with a bunch of 0 voltage reports coming in, but yes maybe they did a delay on anything 0 reports to be sure it is correct before sending it.

I think what they should have done is had it report the zero but not report again unless it went back above say 10. That should stop the multi reporting when it's really off. Or maybe make the 10 selectable? Dunno just crazy how it works. My Sengled plugs don't do that.

Yes, agreed, it is not normal for there to be a delay. I sent an email to Zooz to let them know about it. I have some Sengled ones as well and they report very quick when the attached devices turns off. I am using one of them to monitor my Sump Pump which only runs for about 10 seconds then turns off.

On the other hand, speed wise, it seems to me the high/low setting might capture inrush (power, in this case). My oil boiler just started and the high reading said 400 while steady state is around 200 Watts. That could seem about right, or is inrush even more?
Edit: This was on a Zen15, not Zen04, sorry.

I timed it several times. Pretty consistent 30 seconds.

I just got this response from Zooz. They're working on a firmware update:

Thank you for reaching out!

We have identified this as an issue with the current firmware. We are working on a firmware update for the device, and we will reach out as soon as it is available.

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions in the meantime.

I know I may be stretching it, but I just plugged in a Zen04 on a garage door opener. So far, so good. I have to say, the high/low value capability is nice.