[DRIVER] Zooz Relays Advanced (ZEN16, ZEN17, ZEN51, ZEN52)

UPDATE for ZEN51/52

I posted a minor update to GitHub to fix issues with the fingerprint, so now the driver should properly match to supported devices when they are paired. Did not increase the version since it mostly benefits new installs but if you want to update anyway just run a repair in HPM.

1 Like

Installed this for a Zen51. At first install, most of the options in the preferences section disappeared. So then I reinstalled the original driver. I read the instructions again, which state "MUST PRESS CONFIGURE BUTTON" and check all parameters.

So I reinstalled it to look for the configure button, and at reinstall, all the old preferences plus some new ones showed up. I then found the configure button due to the screenshot in your post 30 above, and pressed - it synched for awhile and is now synched.

I now have one of my Zen51's on your driver and one on the original driver. Hope that is not going to create an issue...

Just curious if this driver supports Zen16's also or is that so different from the Zen17 that it is not supported?

No, that's not an issue. Unless there is a bug in the system driver, usually the main difference is the system driver has basic support designed to be simple and work long term without modifications. My drivers typically will expose all features and settings but require more maintenance to maintain if the manufacturer changes something with subsequent version updates.

The companion driver is only for the ZEN17 and it is ONLY a settings driver, it does not work to control or report status of the device. I created it because the ZEN17 has many settings that were not exposed by the system driver, so this makes it easier to do advanced configurations. The full driver itself is very complicated and the system driver seems to work fine for that part of it so I did not want to re-invent that part.

If the same thing was needed for the ZEN16 I could add it, but I think most of the settings are already exposed on the ZEN16 system driver, it does not have as many complicated options.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes the Zen 16 is working for me. I'm not aware of any other options it has or that I need.

Thank you for your help and your work on this!!

Hey @jtp10181 , just found this. Thanks for making all of these options available.

If you recall I was trying to make the child button on a Zen30 associate with the Zen51. I see you added a Group 2 option, but not Group 3. I think the Zen30 lower button is Group 3 if I'm not mistaken. Group 2 association works great both ways, but it's for the paddle.

I think there was some trouble with this the first time around, possibly because the Zen30 button is a child device and has a DNI of, in my case, 36-1, with 36 being the parent dimmer.

Zen30 firmware 3.10, driver 1.6.4
Zen51 firmware 1.7, driver 1.1.2

Thanks

Edit: if it helps any, the ZWave Association Tool app is not able to do it either

If you are trying to associate the ZEN30 relay button to send commands to the ZEN51 then you only need to set the association on the ZEN30 Group 3.

If you want commands to go from the ZEN51 to the ZEN30 relay button then you would set that on Group 2 of the ZEN51, BUT you need to set a multi-channel association (as you have sort of already noted). My drivers do not support setting that, so you would have to use this utility driver (below) I ported from ST. There is a post with instructions for setting a multi-channel association.

It only really needs to go one way, with the Zen30 as the source. The relay is in a bathroom exhaust fan and the little button is for that.

Have set the Zen30 grp3 association and configured. Zen30 is resynced and shows the correct assocDNI3. I've configured and resynced the Zen51 as well, and cleared all association parameters from it. Logs don't show any activity except from the Zen30 when triggering the button both physically and digitally.

All works perfectly through Group 2 though, so something is different between the groups.

Could be a firmware bug on the ZEN30. I can test it out tomorrow.
Supposedly Group2 and 3 are supposed to behave exactly the same, just 2 = dimmer and 3 = button.

Have you tried setting it to any other devices or only the ZEN51?

This is from ZEN30 docs
The dimmer supports Group 2 with up to 5 devices and will
send BASIC_SET report to other devices in Group 2 to communicate status
changes. The relay supports Group 3 with up to 5 devices and will send
BASIC_SET report to other devices in Group 3 if its status changes.

Must be a bug... tried setting group 3 to a couple other devices and no dice.

I would open a case with Zooz, they will possibly get it fixed.
I will try it out when I get a chance as well, and I can email them directly.

Just sent em an email - I'll update when I hear back!

I know they've got a round of new firmwares coming this fall, so the timing is good to touch base with them...

I've ID'd one Z17 bug and a feature request for the Titan and Zooz confirmed both would be coming soon this fall.

They confirmed and the association bug will be fixed in the next firmware update, estimated October.

1 Like

UPDATE

Added driver for ZEN16, specifically for the new v2 which has sensor input options like the ZEN17. Considering this an ALPHA version since its hard to test all features. I think everything is working correctly that I can control with the driver. This will detect existing child devices, and can create new ones as needed for sensors.

Let me know if you find any issues!

ZEN17 FULL driver is going to follow, now that I have this all coded I can use it as a base.

4 Likes

UPDATE for ZEN16 BETA

Moving to Beta status. Seems to be working good. I am running it on a v1 with my garage door. Some minor updates but Zooz engineers found an issue with the input settings where the wrong options were being displayed. I found (and fixed) it would only happen if you have both a v1 and v2 on same hub.

Version [0.2.0] BETA - 2023-11-09

• Fixed issue with settings if both v1 and v2 in use on same hub
  • Added subModel state
2 Likes

To any fellow Z16v2 users -- a couple current firmware (2.0) bugs to be aware of, but I admittedly wouldn't consider either case to be very common...

1. If you have a relay decoupled from its switch/sensor, you can't set an auto-off on that relay via parameters.

2. DC Motor Mode (Parameter 24) cannot be set to enabled.

Zooz confirmed both bugs and plans to have them fixed in the next firmware (which they hope to have out before EOY). Both bugs are very easy to work around with simple rules.

Otherwise, my Z16v2 is working like a champ -- I'm using all 6 Rs & Ss (all decoupled doing different things) and it's humming right along.

Jeff's driver here makes the setup & management a breeze!

1 Like

Any progress on extending the full driver to ZEN17? I have a desire to change the 'Input Trigger' setting via a rule. The system driver does not have any custom actions available to do it. Not sure if that would be possible from your driver. TIA

@jtp10181 Bump. Checking to see on ZEN17 progress. I'd appreciate having custom commands to programmatically change the input trigger setting on the parent device. Thanks again.

I will see if I can work on this weekend and let you know.

@bill.d I sent you a PM with a link for a preliminary test version.

If anyone else is itching to try it: Link Removed - Use Final Version

3 Likes

UPDATE

Major update is adding a full driver for the ZEN17. If you already had the companion driver installed the new driver will replace that when you update. IF you manually installed the ZEN17 Alpha test version, you may end up with duplicated code after updating, if that happens just switch any devices to the generic "Device" driver, delete the older code, then switch the device(s) back to the updated driver.

Version [1.2.0] (All Drivers) - 2024-01-31

• Added full ZEN17 driver to replace Companion driver
  • Updated library code (logging fixes)
  • Added/Updated setParamater function to request value back
  • Added proper endpoint detection (ZEN52)

Now onto the next package that needs updates!

5 Likes