[DRIVER] NUT Discovery + UPS & Outlet Status

Thank you so much, its all up and running now.

Is this still maintained ?

I cannot get it working. My ups is an APC Smart-UPS RT1000 (SURT1000XL).
I have the Raspberry setup running, i get a few stats with another driver [NUT UPS Device], but not with this one.

Setup:
nut.conf - set to netserver mode
upsd.conf - listen to 127.0.0.1 and raspberry ip on default port.
upsd.users - upsmon as master and hubitat as slave
hubitat - ip of raspberry and hubitat user credentials

My ups has an AP9631 network card. On the NUT page i cannot find neither the ups or the network card as supported, although i can find SURT2000XL and AP9630 (same family / gen).

In hubitat logs i get the following error: Parse: Couldn't process message: "ERR UNKNOWN-UPS"

I haven't looked at it lately because I was not running Hubitat due to a natural disaster but having recently plugged it in with the same NUT server that it used to be looking at running it picked up status right away and kept going. I see the Github at the top was last updated a couple months ago so appears reasonable efforts have been made to keep it going..

That error, and I'm no NUT guru, appears to be that the NUT server doesn't know what UPS is connected as the driver here isn't actually going through a big list of UPS's or anything. If NUT knows what it is it passes it along to Hubitat, the hub doesn't need to identify it.

Further, I upgraded to the latest version and all seems well still, so the drivers appear to still be working :slight_smile:

Hi All,
This is a great thread and I'm almost there with the configuration and I'm getting a status from the NUT server on the PI. However when I configure the NUT drivers on Hubitat I'm getting connection refused on the virtual device. Any tips ?

if your apc has the net card take a look at my driver here ...

1 Like

Try without a password, even though I am pretty sure I setup the password correctly, I have a lot of issues when I put it in on the hubitat side. Unauthenticated sessions seem to be fine so far.

1 Like

apc

Connection ok. I need to test it further.

Thanks.

1 Like

here are two different hub shutdown rules based on my driver..
sorry if off topic has nothing to do with nut ...

also seems really hot for an ups.. mine reads like this?
have you checked through the web interface..

The NUT based driver responds faster. It detect power outages in a few seconds. On your driver i can only set refresh to 1 minute. Can you make it respond faster ?

it takes a while to run as it is using telnet .. so cannot run that often.. i can add a 30 sec. but 1 minute intervals should be sufficient for any shutdown rule so not sure why you would want to overload your hub checking faster anyway.. can you enlighten me.
also based on your ups model, temperature and low runtime would indicate to me that it is continually trying to charge and your batteries are eol.

It's not necessary to refresh faster than 1 minute, but i like instant response from devices. In this case i can understand that having a lower refresh rate brings more trouble than advantages.

Regarding the batteries: i never thought having a 50 C temperature would affect them. The batteries are under 1 year old. I need to check them but you may be right (unfortunately)

let me know if you want me to add the 30 sec. time.. i can easily do it.. i would not go lower than that though as it takes 10 secs or so to run normally

Thank you.. This work perfectly

Indeed. It works perfectly. apc2

I've also solved the cooling for my ups. The fans (Noctua Redux) were not starting at 5V. I've changed to 9V and it seems ok. Unfortunately i have to change the batteries too.

But this driver eliminates the raspberry bridge. So please maintain it.

Could you add more stats? Like Load (watts) and input voltage?

1 Like

What do you mean by this? AFAIK, this interfaces a RPi that hosts a NUT server and connects, often via USB on the Pi, to the UPS and sends that interface to HE. Did you manage to connect the UPS directly to HE?

i am not sure those stats are avail. via the command line call.s do you know the command to get that data?

ok found the command will work on it.. make sure you post in my other thread as this is not really for my device handler .. I will post updates in my thread.

done: added all attributes i could, check the thread:

In your driver i have the ups ip set up not the ip of the raspberry / nut server. I assume the connection is directly to the ups. I have not tested wih the rpi unplugged, but your driver does not know the ip of the server so how could it make a connection?

Thanks for the update. I will test it as soon as posible.

Interesting, I would not have expected this to work, but if it does great. What brand/model of UPS do you have out of curiosity?

I can confirm it works directly. No need for rpi / nut server.

My ups is: APC RT1000

1 Like