Driver for Aqara Smart Curtain Motor E1?

The E1 series of Aqara devices are locked to their hub. Zigbee2mqtt has to spoof being an Aqara hub for E1 devices to pair and function with it. Seems unlikely Hubitat Inc.'s legal dept would think that's a good idea for them to do.

1 Like

I have the Aqara Curtain Driver E1 added directly to my hub. It was pretty straight forward in terms of pairing, but their use of non standard clusters is still a mess hence why they don't officially support them.

1 Like

So you're able to control the Aqara Curtain Driver E1 directly using HE? If so, which driver are you using?

Yes. Wrote my own driver. Not publicly posted though for various reasons. But direct connection and control is possible. Same with battery reporting, light sensor, charging state and level.

Side note: If anybody wants to write a public driver for it and has experience writing the zigbee drivers, I am willing to share the relavent code that you can integrate.

4 Likes

Hi @SmartHomePrimer ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write down this detailed and pedagogical step by step instruction on how to set this up. I appreciated this a lot, thank you!

Based on your list I went to the store and bought my first Raspberry PI 4b and Conbee stick II and started to set this up. It has taken me the better part of my day and most of the steps have gone smooth. Except one.

It appears the Zigbee functionality in the stick is unavailable or cannot be reached for some reason. When I try to access the web UI of the Zigbee2MQTT app I get Error 502: Bad Gateway.

The log file says:
[01:46:36] INFO: Handing over control to Zigbee2MQTT Core ...

zigbee2mqtt@1.27.0 start
node index.js Zigbee2MQTT:info 2022-08-14 01:46:43: Logging to console and directory: '/config/zigbee2mqtt/log/2022-08-14.01-46-43' filename: log.txt
Zigbee2MQTT:info 2022-08-14 01:46:43: Starting Zigbee2MQTT version 1.27.0 (commit #unknown)
Zigbee2MQTT:info 2022-08-14 01:46:43: Starting zigbee-herdsman (0.14.46)
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-08-14 01:46:53: Error while starting zigbee-herdsman
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-08-14 01:46:53: Failed to start zigbee
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-08-14 01:46:53: Check Zigbee2MQTT fails to start | Zigbee2MQTT for possible solutions
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-08-14 01:46:53: Exiting...
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-08-14 01:46:53: undefined

And then the same message repeats.

I have read through the comments of the Smart home junkie video, read the documentation text for the app as well as googled the error. I have tried a lot of small changes but nothing seems to work.

• The documentation to Zigbee2MQTT mentions enabling 'zigbee_herdsman_debug'. Do you know how to do that? Where do I enter this line to get the debugging to start?

• If I understood a text I read correctly, the log from this debug is not entered into the standard log file adjacent to the configuration, but written in a separate log file? Do you know where to find this other log file?

• Out of curiosity, I also noted that the USB reference in the tty reference changed from 0 to 1 and then back again every time I restarted the Raspberry PI. Having owned my first Raspberry PI for less than a day, is that normal behaviour of a Raspberry PI to change the references to the USB ports dynamically in this way?

Thank you for having taken the time to read my post.

Any thoughts and advise is highly appreciated!

Fairly common issue when setting up Zigbee2MQTT. Answer was a little different for me than it's been for others.

Maybe also some help here if you don't find the solution with what I've posted previously.

1 Like

Thank you thank you thank you! It worked! I removed the ZHA integration and changed the mqtt server to the IP address and bam,
Did I say thank you?!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent! Hope you enjoy your new Smart Curtains and the massive library of additional Zigbee devices and integrations you can now access.

1 Like

Thank you! I am looking forward to continue with your eminent set of instructions and explore what is now possible to do! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is anyone working on a public driver?

I don't believe this is true. I can pair it with my Hubitat. However, most controls don't work yet as I don't know the zigbee clusters which have to be sent. "Stop" works though. If someone can figure out the remaining clusters, then a native driver could be written. That's the exact same thing that had to be done with the B1 drivers and @markus figured that out.

Can you share your code and the clusters used? I can edit markus's driver to work with the E1. Thanks!

PM Sent.

Hey guys,

So here's the 1st iteration of this driver. Thanks @gavincampbell . It's really gavin's work integrated into markus's driver with some changes.

I still have a lot of work to do. The curtain sends its position, battery and a bunch of other info every 6 minutes. I need to get the driver to properly consume that once I figure out what is what. It's not essential as the curtain sends its position whenever it opens or closes. However, it's useful for getting the latest battery without having to click the "refresh" command.

Anyways, pretty much all the commands should work now. You can also use the "track discovery" to set the open and close limits of the curtain. Will update when I have a new version. Cheers.

4 Likes

I have now added the parsing of the message received every 6 or so minutes to get the position and the battery. The driver should now be feature complete. There are likely a few bugs so pls let me know if you see any issues.

1 Like

Will this driver work with the E1 roller shade motor or is it curtain only?
Thanks

I wonder, before purchase 2 motors, is the driver working now?

The one I posted and edited works great for me

1 Like

Similar to Bruno I'm about to purchase a couple of these based on the hopes that your driver works as good for me as it does for you @yototogblo :slight_smile:
Given that there are a quite a few curtain/blinds Aqara motors, can I just get you to confirm that your driver is intended for the device in the very first post of this thread?
https://a.co/d/gk8lDMH
If this is effectively the case, I can't thank you enough in advance!

Sorry about the delay. It's the same device and my driver works great for it. If you need any help, I'm also here to help

2 Likes

Thx for confirming @yototogblo! I ordered one as a tryout on promo ($30 AUD saving, still $15AUD more than in the US but same price as the EU thx to the promo) but it'll only get delivered by Fri at which point the promo expires. So I'll quickly order 3 more now :smiley:

Thx again, I'll report back once I have em added to HE. I don't yet have any curtains or tracks though :joy: