Dreaming of a better assistant

Has anyone found a Home Automation solution that integrates seamlessly with assistance such as Alexa?

I would love to say something like "Alexa, Change [name]'s bed time to 8PM" and have it update my bed time rule to trigger at 8PM.

I see that as where Google and Amazon might go with their integrations....

1 Like

I use the homebridge plugin with the iOS "Home" app along with my Homepods. Everything works really well and "Siri" is pretty good at handling what I ask of "her". I've never tried a command with a specific time on it though. I also have the Alexa skill setup and voice commands work there as well but I think the Homepod/Siri setup works better.

I think @Keo is asking for integration into HE from voice activated devices. To be honest I doubt this ever will happen as Amazon, Apple and Google's goals are to own the home. Their value add is the voice capabilities and flexibility. With the recent massive add-ons to Alexa you are seeing a lot of mild-advanced automations now possible through Alexa natively. The next 3-5 years will be VERY interesting to watch.

The Alexa Skill gives you built in integration and voice commands work great. I just prefer the 3rd party homebridge way so I can use my Homepods.

1 Like

I have this working through IFTTT and webCoRE. You can use IFTTT's google assistant service to speak a text or number component to your GH device. Then you can pass that number or text over to webCoRE via Maker webhooks. webCoRE can then parse that data and set a variable equal to that info. Here's the setup I have to "snooze" my Office Auto virtual switch for a set number of hours through Google Home. This setup shuts off my Office Auto switch which manages my motion lighting and then turns it back on after that time is complete.

I know a lot of folks don't like webCoRE and I have definitely moved most of my automations away from it but there's nothing in HE that allows you to parse JSON data from a web request that I've found other than webCoRE.

This could be easily adapted to do what you want to do with your goodnight "routine".

3 Likes

I'll have to play around with this. I haven't actually tried this with webcore.

Unfortunately the same thing doesn't work with alexa. :frowning:

Don't have any echo devices so I've never tried. But you're right, Alexa only allows for specific phrases to be said through IFTTT.

The Tasker app with the AutoVoice plug-in offers a service called Natural Speech that is pretty legit. If you enable it to, AutoVoice will take over for Google Assistant and run the whole show. And the great part is there is no need the repeat verbadim the commands as it was programmed.

If you've never played around with Tasker, in my opion it is one of the most powerful home/cell/everything automation room available. And it works with just about everything and everone.

Just an example of an automation, and may so happens to be the reason for my purchasing a Hubitat. It was also how I learned about the difference between local and cloud. So ya see I'm not a computer expert? But I could still do this, however it's not something anyone could pick up and just go with it being their first time, it's NOT IFTTT, but it works with it!!! I may be missing a step:

1. A profile (a pre-determined set of circumstances or trigger is activated in Tasker to scan the home Wifi internet connectivity every 4 minutes.
  2. I have a smart powerstrip where each plug is fully customizable and controlable. I have my keen modem, router, and ST hub of into one of those plugs, and have them designated appropriately in ST and Tasker.
  3. If during a routine check, or identified in an another way, Tasker determined that the wifi signal was still strong, but connectivity had been lost, it stays a timer.
  4. After 30 seconds, if the connectivity is still zero, Tasker triggers a task through my phone which sends a command to the power strip to deactivate the power receptacles for the modem and the router.

And this is the point where Samsung Smartthings can go no further.

1. After a 60 second air, the powerstrip receives a command from, I'm hoping from Hubtatat, to turn the power back on for the modem.
  2. After a 30 second wait, the power is activated for the router.
  3. After 4 minutes, Tasker checks the internet continuity again.
  4. If yes, the task ends the task and resets all nodes to default.
  5. If not, the task triggers another reset cycle identical to the first. This is limited to one retailer cycle
  6. If the internet is still down, Tasker tests all nodes to the configuration most advantageous to reestablishing internet, nothing really more than how it say prior to the power cycles.
  7. An automatic email is sent with variables useful for the cable as they identofy the issue.
  8. Finally Tasker send me a similar email and text.
  9. And the punchline, most of that can be created in the AutoVoice app.

Very cool stuff if you're pausing) patient enough to learn it, give it some time.

Thanks for this info. I have used tasker, but I have all apple stuff in my house now. I am also using Echo's here not google.