Door lock suggestions

yes...

I was on Monoprice yesterday getting a couple more door/window sensors (15270). Have some that work (and one stubborn one that will pair but won't talk to the HE). I saw that they are offering a z-wave door lock for $40. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24654

It's "open box", but that still looks like a screaming deal (?).

I noticed that the monoprice door lock has manuals dated in 2015. But at $40, almost worth just trying it out. Can always find a door -- or gift it to my parents.

Aesthetically it isn't a bad looking lock either, in my opinion.

The Monoprice lock is very old, but definitely an appealing price--"regular" Z-Wave (non-Plus) and with a pretty old chip, but it is "security enabled" (would this have been what's now S0 before S2 was created?). Wonder how it performs. Reviews are mixed (the first one seems pretty uninformed, though), and I'm not sure I'd trust this on a main door, but I'd consider it somewhere I don't use much.

Plastic housing and plastic gears. Expect it to be noisy, not to last very long, and possibly be a pain to join or keep connected to the hub.

keyWe Z-Wave Lock
Ok, there is some funk in getting the configuration for this lock correct.

After finally getting it right, lock codes are supported, read/write and reporting.

So I've elevated (see the pun there?) my review of this lock, its been moved into the keep an eye on it category...

2 Likes

Yes and they light up so you can see them in the dark.

1 Like

I'd like to chime in here.
I used to have a Kwikset 910, which was OK, but ran out of battery fairly quickly. The design of these locks expose the batteries to the cold. If you live in a cold climate (which I do), you know that cold is the mortal enemy of batteries. I was forced to use "Energizer Ultimate Lithium" batteries - the best in the business.
So, I had the chance to replace my Kwikset 910 with the new Kwikset Smartcode 888. Zwave plus instead of regular zwave. It has made a great deal of difference.
Whatever you get, get zwave plus, don't compromise to save a few bucks (like I did originally).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.