Door lock and light issues

I have a couple Zigbee bulbs, one being an Osram RGBW that seems to give lots of people trouble. I think that if you provide lots of good repeaters, to a slight extent you might be able to overcome a couple bad repeaters in some cases.

But if you have a house full of these bad repeaters, pretty much nothing will drown them out.

So I would replace them as you can, get some good repeaters, and otherwise try to optomise things.

Ok are there any repeating zigbee bulbs I should buy? or should i just buy some more of the sengled z-wave bulbs?

Do you need individually controlled bulbs, or are any these operated by a light switch?

they do not need to be controlled individually. the 2 outside lights are directly connected to a switch that is always on. the basement lights always have power but are controlled through a smart switch.

It will probably be better to replace those two outside bulbs with a Zigbee (or even Zwave) switch. Cost-wise, and network-wise, I think that would be easier, cheaper, and better for the network than buying two smart bulbs.

I can do that. I do still have a Zwave switch that I used to have on my basement stairs. it was an older one and giving some issues, but I think it would work fine there since the bulbs are connected directly to the switch.... One thing though I almost forgot. I need the bulbs to always have power to them. I have a plugin adapter in one of the bulb sockets and I have a camera hooked to that. I don't really want to change it. This might impact using a smart switch there and not bulbs.

Ah, so a smart switch wouldn't be the best there. So stick with the Sengled that @ogiewon recommends above or something like the Inovelli Zwave bulbs.

As far as I know, most Zigbee bulbs either don't repeat (good) or are repeaters that mess things up. I am not sure if there are any good repeating bulbs?

Sengled bulbs are typically Zigbee, not Z-Wave. I don't think they make a Z-Wave bulb. They may make some WiFi bulbs these days, but I'd avoid those as well.

Sengled Zigbee Soft White bulbs

https://www.amazon.com/Sengled-Required-Equivalent-Assistant-SmartThings/dp/B072M5RT6L/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Sengled+Smart+Light+Bulb&qid=1590787171&s=hi&sr=1-4

Sengled Zigbee Color bulbs

https://www.amazon.com/Sengled-Multicolor-2000-6500K-Equivalent-SmartThings/dp/B07HL5GPPF/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Sengled%2BColor%2BLight%2BBulb&qid=1590787272&s=hi&sr=1-6&th=1

1 Like

thanks I double checked what I ordered and they are zigbee. I was searching for zwave at the time and thought that is what I bought. I had not hooked them up yet so I didn't know.

2 Likes

WOW I removed the 4 GE bulbs and put the Sengled in their place. now the zigbee repeater is closer to the door lock than any other zigbee device. take a look at it now.

Front Door2020-05-29 16:30:45.487 profileId:0x0, clusterId:0x13, sourceEndpoint:0, destinationEndpoint:0 , groupId:0, lastHopLqi:255, lastHopRssi:-48

3 Likes

@scotnemily - I am so glad that you approached this systematically.

@neonturbo will confirm this - Wink had workarounds to get devices to work with that hub. A consequence of that is Wink worked with very few devices.

So we former Wink users become aware of the need to build robust zwave/zigbee meshes only when we move to new platforms.

Huge improvement!

Confirmed.

So how does the lock work now?

You may need to "repair" the Zigbee mesh, but it is supposed to heal itself. It actually looks like it picked up the changes by itself.

If you feel it needs to be force "repaired" shut the hub down for 20 minutes, and power it back up.

1 Like

I wont know until tonight if the lock works. I will post back.

Thought you might try the 3-4 lock cycles in a row that were failing when you tried that earlier.

1 Like

I could have. I was out of time though. Had to get to my 2nd job. I ended up being 15 mins late due to messing with the bulbs in the first place :grinning:

3 Likes

It worked tonight with only a 5 second delay from detecting me pulling in the drive way to unlocking.

4 Likes

Now just hope it stays that way. It should be much better once you get the bad things off the network.

What’s the issue with Peanut plugs? I have 3 of them in my network, along with 3 Sengled bulbs, and they’ve worked great for the past 6 months (one of them controls the hot water recirculation pump, so is mission critical in our house). Conversely my 4 Ikea Tradfri outlets became unresponsive over their first few weeks and are now in the trash.

Some users have noticed that Peanut plugs can lead to mesh issues...

2 Likes