Door lock and light issues

@scotnemily - I am so glad that you approached this systematically.

@neonturbo will confirm this - Wink had workarounds to get devices to work with that hub. A consequence of that is Wink worked with very few devices.

So we former Wink users become aware of the need to build robust zwave/zigbee meshes only when we move to new platforms.

Huge improvement!

Confirmed.

So how does the lock work now?

You may need to "repair" the Zigbee mesh, but it is supposed to heal itself. It actually looks like it picked up the changes by itself.

If you feel it needs to be force "repaired" shut the hub down for 20 minutes, and power it back up.

1 Like

I wont know until tonight if the lock works. I will post back.

Thought you might try the 3-4 lock cycles in a row that were failing when you tried that earlier.

1 Like

I could have. I was out of time though. Had to get to my 2nd job. I ended up being 15 mins late due to messing with the bulbs in the first place :grinning:

3 Likes

It worked tonight with only a 5 second delay from detecting me pulling in the drive way to unlocking.

4 Likes

Now just hope it stays that way. It should be much better once you get the bad things off the network.

What’s the issue with Peanut plugs? I have 3 of them in my network, along with 3 Sengled bulbs, and they’ve worked great for the past 6 months (one of them controls the hot water recirculation pump, so is mission critical in our house). Conversely my 4 Ikea Tradfri outlets became unresponsive over their first few weeks and are now in the trash.

Some users have noticed that Peanut plugs can lead to mesh issues...

2 Likes

If you look at the zigbee routing table, you will see that the peanut plugs change routes like kindergartners trying to find a place in line. This causes instability in your mesh. It's been proven that having one or two will keep it under the radar, but a larger number of these plugs will prove to be problematic to your mesh.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Although this may or may not be the problem with your automation, I strongly encourage you not to mix zigbee repeating bulbs with other zigbee devices on the same hub. If you do, sooner or later you will very likely experience problems with your zigbee network.

There are a lot of people in this community that will tell you that zigbee repeating bulbs don't mix well with other zigbee devices on the same hub. Zigbee repeating bulbs make poor repeaters that do not play nice with other zigbee devices. You will most likely experience random network problems. This is my experience.

You have 3 basic options with zigbee bulbs:

1. Use Sengled bulbs, which are non-repeating. You can safely mix those with other zigbee devices on the same hub.
  2. Use a second Hubitat hub, with just the bulbs connected to it, and connect the two hubs with HubConnect.
  3. Use a Philips Hue Hub, which integrates nicely with Hubitat.

As a side note, I encourage you to have a zigbee and z-wave repeaters in the same room, near your Hubitat. I was told to do this when I first started with Hubitat. At first I thought it was sort of a crazy idea, but eventually I decided to give it a try. Lo and behold, It worked wonders for both my zigbee and z-wave mesh networks. In my case, I have zigbee and z-wave repeaters less than 10' from my Hubitat. And then of course I have additional repeaters spread through out my house.

1 Like

That is a disaster waiting to happen. I had 6 peanuts at one time; they took turns dropping of the mesh and dropping other devices from the mesh as well. I wouldn’t trust something like that to anything but a Samsung plug. Also, Samsung plugs repeat for at least 10 devices without issue.

2 Likes

I’ll second that! I bought a second HE hub because it was way cheaper than replacing 55 Sylvania rgbws. Now my lights work perfectly all of the time, and all of my end devices (70 non-repeating devices) such as zigbee locks, motion sensors, contact sensors, dimmers, etc are super happy on their own hub with 4 Samsung plugs and a few GE/Jasco Zigbee dimmers as repeaters.

2 Likes

I tried having just two. It was still a problem for me. Now I am using them occasionally on my SmartThings hub for automation of Christmas lights and other temporary things.

Just a quick update. I got the cat6 cable in but have not moved the hub yet. I also added one of two range extenders on the 1st floor. not sure where the 2nd one is going yet. when I move the hub, if I do, it will be center of the basement and I will have no range issues there. that will free up the 1 extender I already had down there. or even if I keep it close to the hub, that still gives me 2 others. I might add one to the 2nd floor even though I don't currently have any zigbee devices up there. Oh and the lock hasn't failed to work since removing those GE bulbs. it is always unlocked with in 5 seconds or less of me coming down the street and pulling in the drive.

2 Likes

:+1: Very happy to hear that removing those bulbs has improved things in your mesh. I was also amazed at how much better things ran once I eliminated GE Link and Cree zigbee bulbs from by Hubitat mesh. Glad to hear things are improving for your home!

1 Like

As an FYI, the GE Link bulbs work with the Hue bridge (and will not interfere with Hubitat's zigbee mesh when paired to the Hue bridge). You can pickup a used Hue bridge for < $20 on eBay.

thanks I might just do that.
@aaiyar do all generations work? looks like there are 3 gens of the hue bridges.