Dome Water Shutoff & Water Sensor (Contact Sensor) Detection Rule Circumvent Echo Speaks

So I had a RM that had my Dome water shutoff turn off if water was detected (a flood) on a number of ST water sensors. Echo Speaks would also then trigger an announcement throughout the house indicating where the water was detected.

Recently, Heroku started charging and everyone is moving away from Heroku hoping to use an alternative.

I discovered if I switch the Sensors from Generic zigbee water sensor to Generic Zigbee Contact, that I could simply use Alexa Routines to make an announcement as to where the water was detected. So I changed them.

I tried to set up a Basic Rule instead of a RM in which the “contact sensors” would trigger the Dome Water Shutoff (trying to do away with both SAR and RM altogether) but I just cant get this one working.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Pick close valve

1 Like

Why not create a virtual contact sensor, and when the physical water sensor is activated (or the water valve closed) , set the contact sensor to open(?). Then when it is dry (or valve open) make the contact sensor do the opposite.

I think you could do all that with Basic Rule, but if not it would be pretty easy in Rule Machine too. That way the water sensor is still a water sensor for all of Hubitat rule purposes, but you get the contact for Alexa.

1 Like

I tried it at one point but didn’t work. I actually think there might be something wrong with the sensor I was testing as it keeps reading wet for some odd reason. May have to give it another go.

Replied above, but I think there happened to be something wrong with the sensor itself (which is surprising given how well they are built.) Might have to give it another go with a different one.

I test a random sensor once a month myself. But if it's wet I would think that the valve would be closed. Wonder if it dropped of the mesh.

1 Like

I'm way too disorganized and non-disciplined to do that lol. Plus I have two little kids throwing off my ADD mojo. :rofl:

So I have it working - must've been some weird glitch. Even my echos are now sending out voice alerts with Basic Rules.

Here's my rule:

Side note: Echo Speaks Heroku was down/moved to a paid model - is there any real need for this app? I realize it has some advance functionality. All I wanted is a basic function to tell me which sensor is triggered, mailbox open, washer finished. And that's about it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.