Does the Alexa Skill support VolumeUp and VolumeDown commands?

Posted in Community Apps

Re-posted in Community Apps. Can't seem to delete the post.

Still looking for a solution for this. Before I punt and try doing something more low level myself, I thought I bring it up again.

Volume control via Alexa is the only functionality that I can't seem to move from my Alexa Smart Home skill running on a AWS Lambda server to HE.

I'd like to implement a custom driver with AudioVolume capability and port my cod to run in that driver. But, there doesn't seem to be a method for that capability to be controlled from Alexa. This Alexa smart home model works great:

except I have to run code on a lambda server that just does an MQTT publish to an rpi running my rpi custom scripts.

I didn't get a reply in the Hubitat Community about it being planned enhancement for the Amazon Alexa Hubitat app, so I guess it's not going to happen.

Anyone have a suggestion on alternatives?

I don't want to use a dimmer capability--brighten amp and dim amp are too awkward. I want to say things like "volume up on amp" "volume up 10 on amp", "volume down 5 on amp", "mute amp", "unmute amp". Those all work today using my Amazon SmartHome implementation, and the family is very much accustomed to watching things without ever needing to futz with a remote.

I originally had what Amazon calls a custom skill (versus a smarthome skill). This eliminates the need to run code on their Lambda server, but you must use the custom skill name in the utterances. That's why I went to their SmartHome skill model, even though it required use of their Lambda server. So, I don't want to have to say something like "Ask magic closet volume up 10 on amp> Or, to have to do "open magicCloset" to get into a namespace where I can omit my custom skill name.

Since you mentioned that you have a Raspberry Pi running, have you looked at running Node Red? There is a Node Red pallet for Hubitat and an Alexa pallet that can react based on what you say and even which Alexa you are talking to which gives some room awareness.

In this thread, I have some posts on how I achieved some room awareness.

Thanks for the reply

From what I've read about implementing Alexa skills I think I'd still have to include the name of a custom skill in the utterance if I'm not running a SmartHome skill on a lambda server. But I'll take a closer look at what you posted.

Remember, I have two implementations already working. The reason I want to change is to eliminate the need to run code on an AWS server. That can be accomplished with a custom skill, but then the utterances required get awkward

The setup instructions for node-red-contrib-alexa-cakebaked

include this:

So, I think I'd just be running different code on an AWS server. Lots more functinality, I'm sure, but all I really need is the utterance spoken (sigh).

I am not 100% sure how the cakebaked pallet works. I assume that it generates the information in the Alexa On Device Activity Node without going to cloud and then your Node Red flows would act locally based on your utterance.

The only Alexa skill that might use an AWS server I use is so that Alexa won't go searching the internet for what I just said and just performs a wait. That's described later in that thread.

Therefore, the actions aren't waiting to go out to their servers and back before performing.

I do it by using Echo Speaks. Not Echo Speaks app itself, Echo Speaks creates a virtual device for each of the physical devices.

You can use that virtual device in a rule. Mine is set to turn the volume down at night, and turn back up during the day.

I do not want to control the volume of an Echo. Volume of legacy amplifier (receiver). From Alexa.

Surround Sound in our audio video room is from a high end (but not "smart") amplifier. Virtual switches configure it (from Alexa) depending on whether we are watching streaming content, satellite, or off antenna.

Volume is controlled via IR, just like a remote. Code running on rpi sends the appropriate IR commands based on message it gets from Alexa, or the lambda server, depending on the implementation (smartHome versus custom) skill.

Ok, I will be diving into NodeRed today. Maybe nice even if it doesn't eliminate the need to have an AWS account.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.