Does HubProtect also backup and restore Zigbee devices to a replacement hub?

The forum postings makes it sound that way, but the actual sign up links only mention Z-Wave.

I believe it does but you still have to pair each device to the new hub. It's the same principle of re-pairing a device to the hub if it starts acting up a bit. Once you've paired it all automations will work without needing any modifications.
At least that's my understanding of it. I've not had to put it to the test yet.

1 Like

Hubitat device-ids corresponding to the physical zigbee device are backed up and restored on the new hub. However, unlike z-wave devices, zigbee devices will have to be reset and re-paired to the new hub. When they are re-paired, they will pair back with their original name and device-id.

I have actually moved from a C-5 to a C-7 using Hub Protect and it worked well for both zigbee and z-wave devices, with the caveat noted above for zigbee devices.

8 Likes

so, i have been reading this.

If I have a crashed hub and have to physicaly replace it, I have to find all my Zigbee devices and "re-pair" everyone of them. BUT once that is done, all automations will work as previous?

Next question.

If have have 2 hubs (a C-5 and C-7) will they work off each other, so lets say if the C-5 Dies, I am still ok?

What do you mean by this? If you are asking if a C5 can be replaced by a C7, the answer is yes

3 Likes

Yes. Zigbee radio information transfers, but the physical pairing does not. So once you do that, everything on the Zigbee side is back to normal.

Can you clarify this question please. Not sure what you mean by that.

3 Likes

Working off each other. I guess I mean, if one hub dies will the other one take over the zigbee and leave devices WITHOUT having to go through the process of pairing everything again. I understand that once re-paired all automations will work. I was hoping that they would become redundant backups. A primary and a replicated slave.

I guess I'm getting the impression, if a hub dies it will be an absolute nightmare to repair everything that I have (I think I have about 50+ zigbee devices and about 50 zwaves )

Devices can only be paired to one hub at a time. Hubs can't mirror each other or be on hot standby, so to speak.

The Zwave will just work IF you use the hub protect from what I understand.

The Zigbee radio information (database) will be there, but you will have to put the devices and the hub into pairing mode. So your rules and so on won't be broken, they just won't have any incoming information until you do the pairing process.

1 Like

Nope. You will have to re-pair your zigbee devices. Although they will slot back into their existing device-ids.

1 Like

Ha! If you have an all z-wave hub, you can make a hot mirror using Hub Protect. I've done this while initially restoring my C-5 hub protect backup on a C-7. Until I did a hard reset on the C-5 and powered it off, I could control the same device with both hubs.

2 Likes

1 Like

I think @bcopeland called that an Easter egg.

1 Like

Yea, I didn't think that was supposed to be possible.

I think it works because the controller is cloned, so the device thinks it is talking to the same controller.

1 Like

So what is my best option/procedure to prepare for a C-7 failure? I have both z-wave and zigbee devices.

This has probably been addressed elsewhere, but why doesn't the local backup backup the Z-wave also? Or does it?

It's in the way it backs up. It could be done but that would leave no revenue stream to Hubitat Inc. `So for now only cloud back up backs up the z-wave db

2 Likes

If you're using cloud backup you're probably doing everything you can. As folks have noted, the zwave devices should restore without issue to a new hub. The zigbee device IDs will restore but the devices themselves will need to be re-paired. I'm pretty sure this is an architectural limitation. Once they are they should reappear with the same device ID so all your automations should run.

1 Like

IIRC revenue was not the only consideration when people asked about this at the time the hub protect service was announced.

2 Likes