Does disabling a device from the Devices page also disables connectivity to the radio?

Does disabling a device from the device page have any effect on its z-wave connectivity?

I had a power blip today that killed two older GE Z-wave switches. I have replacements on the way, but trying to figure out if I need to remove the devices entirely or not. I have a feeling the answer is yes, but wanted to double-check.

No.

But in your case, if the switches are dead, they have no connectivity already, or am I misunderstanding something?

Nope, you are correct and I think I was overthinking things. I need to just go do a repair on the devices that were hopping through them.

Welp...nothing was routing through them. Got all worked up for nothing.

1 Like

Just a small follow-up in case anyone randomly stumbles across this thread later on. The switches were not actually completely dead, but they were stuck in a power cycle. This turned into the two switches constantly sending z-wave status updates. Luckily, since they're GE, they have the air gap that I could just pull to shut them down for the time being.

1 Like

Zooz and Inovelli have that too.

Edit
Not trying to prove any points, just adding that for anyone that stumbles by later and asks themselves that question.

2 Likes

Not all. I have several Zooz switches/dimmers that have no air-gap.

1 Like

To address your initial question. Disabling a device from the Devices page has no effect on its radio connectivity, whether the device is Z-Wave or Zigbee. Although communication between the respective radio and the hub stops, the device continues to communicate with the radio in the background.

This topic has been marked solved by the community and subsequently closed. For further discussion on this topic, feel free to create a new thread under a different category to continue the conversation.

If you are logged in, click [HERE] to get started.