Do you leave your porch lights on all night?

Single-bulb street-facing front door downlight on all night (basically a dusk-to-dawn setting).

Side-door downlight on w/ motion (~30 seconds), otherwise off.

Detached garage (house facing) service door / patio area Hue downlight on SS - SR at 25%/2000K, illuminates to 80%/2700K via a Hue outdoor sensor placed between house & garage. Garage door area and driveway apron are illuminated well enough by a city-maintained streetlight in our alley.

1 Like

I used to volunteer with the Local Police Department Crime Prevention program. We would tell people to leave their lights on all night for crime prevention. Not necessarily blinding lights, just regular garage/ door lights.

Mine are from sunset to sunrise. They are Inovelli RGB bulbs, at Christmas and other holidays I use @mbishop 's Holiday lights app for color effects. They are set to return to 3000K when certain sensor are open or locks unlocked. It has an option for motion too, but I don't have a motion sensor out front yet. I've been looking for a better option than an PIR sensor. I have a hue outdoor motion sensor, but it gets (and stays) hot out there in the summer, so I don't think that would be very effective.

I could dim them overnight, but the way my house sits, they aren't shining in anybody's windows.

4 Likes

I didn't keep my porch lights on all night until that feature was requested from Holiday Lights. :wink: Now they stay at 1% and go to 100% with motion.

Driveway lights aren't yet included in this, but might be if I replace them with RGB bulbs soon.

3 Likes

I think that might have been me. I even use it to run those lights in non-holiday periods too! I know i was the one the requested using a lock to switch to white and back. Works rather nicely!

1 Like

At 10pm I turn off my porch light and dim the lights on my garage to 40% and leave them on to sunrise.

I used to leave the porch on as well but my wife told me to turn it off :wink:

I also have a backlit house # that is on from dusk to dawn.

And of course if we ā€œarriveā€ any time during the night or if someone rings the doorbell, everything comes up to 100% for my arrival timeout period.

1 Like

I'm going to wire mine to a D1 Mini and use WLED now that Christmas is over.

2 Likes

I can't even imagine leaving outside lights on all night. Heresy! I don't even turn them on when I walk from the house, across the dooryard, to the sauna (or back). I can look up and see an amazing view of the stars because it's nearly pitch black here. You folks live near way too many other humans.

4 Likes

I'm sure the wisdom of keeping exterior lights on all night is a function of where you live, security considerations, neighbors, etc. I used to keep my exterior lights on all night at about 40% until we had an issue with bats getting into the attic. We were advised by the bat exclusion people to try to keep the exterior light usage to a minimum as they attract bugs which attract bats. I don't that anymore. Noticeably fewer bugs as well in the summer.

1 Like

I have two post lights with RGBW LED bulbs that change color according to the holiday. No holiday, they are blue because my younger son is a cop (tech sergeant) in the Air Force. The front porch light is the same. All are set to 50% brightness because we have a strong street light in front of the house, and one on each side. They are more for looks than function.

There are 3 soffit lights that follow the same schedule. These are controlled by a TreatLife WiFi dimmer (I was unable to find a Zigbee or Z-Wave outdoor dimmer). Plenty of switches but no dimmers.
These are also sunset to sunrise. Level at 20% because they are blinding at 50% and higher and shine in the bedroom windows.

The gazebo lights in the back yard are controlled by another TreatLife outdoor dimmer. They are on from sunset to 10pm. These are also very bright, so I set them to 20%. More for mood.

On the back of the house there is a Wyze video camera with a floodlight. Also have one under the deck.

On the end of the house I have these

Never have been one to put all my eggs in one basket especially when SmartThings broke.

Well everyone can't move their family to the outback... :wink:

But I agree with:

I just can't leave lights on that aren't "doing something." IMHO having them turn on and stay on w/motion is as effective as leaving them on all the time in terms of any hoped for prevention effect. And if you watch enough Ring and other security camera videos on the interweb you'll constantly see people walking right up to and looking up at on/recording cameras and just ignoring them as they pilfer. To me lights coming on feels more disruptive ("Uh oh - they noticed me!") than having them on all the time. Anyone who cares about being lit up are going to move on to the next dark home or just ignore lights regarless if they are unfazed. Just my (sort of) humble opinion... :wink:

1 Like

No. Motion.

1 Like

I leave my porch light on all night. I have motion sensors that turn on lights in the background. Lights are a much better crime deterrent than cameras.

1 Like

Lots of good info here. The only thing holding me back is that many of my cameras will not be able to stay in color with lights out, but i think I'm going to get some bulbs and go dark after 11.

There is a community integration for many of the Govee products. @Mavrrick58 is maintaining.

1 Like

The Hue Outdoor motion sensors are a little sensitive - mine still react to squirrels but they are typically not active at night. I have a couple of local cats and a fox that trip them as well. Got a great fully lit video of a person trying to break into my Wife's car on the carport - shared it with the local PD.

1 Like

IMHO based on what I've been told by a husband of a friend who is a cop, if you do the two things below you are very unlikely have personal property stolen:

1. Lock your doors and windows and close your garage door and front gates to your back yard.
  2. Don't leave interesting stuff on your front porch, front yard, or driveway.

Perps are looking for quick and easy - if you make it harder for them than your neighbor, your neighbor will be the one who "donates." :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The lights ARE doing something. They are deterring bad people from messing with your stuff and encouraging them to go to your neighbors with no lights on.

3 Likes

LOL..lets hope so! It's leaving them on overnight every night when vast majority of those nights nothing happens, that makes me crazy (clearly a personal issue). :wink: My family would probably say "crazy" is my normal state. :smiley:

I have nine soffit lights on the front of the house. At sunset three of them come on warm white at 40%, at midnight they go to 1%. If a gate is opened or a motion sensor is tripped they all come on at 100% bright white. It keeps the low hanging fruit at bay.

For the holidays they change colors based on the holiday but still come on full white if anybody enters on the property.

Itā€™s home automation. May as well automate it.

1 Like

I leave one low wattage high ish brightness LED light on all night with supplemental delayed lighting brought on by PIRā€™s. It has taken a lot of work to make the PIRā€™s / beams dependable and not annoy others,

I live in an urban area and do get unwelcomes on my driveway, often trying car doors. I have good video of such incursions and police have identified people from such footage.

I have an adjacent rental property and the tenant was prone to leave his car unlocked and I managed to video a break in and (fuelled by some wine) I physically apprehended the guy. The full brightness lighting coming on had no impact :frowning:

I was reprimanded by the UK police for this action based on not knowing if they might have a knife etc but all was OK and the papers reported it as a good citizens arrest (no disclosure of who or where) and a short prison sentence for the ā€˜doped up to the eyeballsā€™ offender.

So not sure if the automation was good or bad but unknowns walking up my driveway do turn around when more lights come on.

1 Like