Do Low Battery Notifications Work?

I set up a notification for low battery warning but haven't gotten anything for the sensor that went below the threshold. Am I doing something wrong?

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. When viewing devices they show below a set amount which should be setting off notifications. A little frustrating but I’m sure it’s something I am doing wrong!

Not necessarily. There doesn’t appear to be anything wrong with that notification as you’ve set it up, assuming you wanted to get repeats every five minutes ad infinitum.

As mentioned in some other threads, getting a continuously accurate estimate of battery life in the small lithium-metal and alkaline batteries that tend to go in IoT devices is notoriously difficult to do.

I gave up on that. Here's the real life experience, 100% for 260 days, day 261 100% but sensor is dead and fell off mesh. Was better on ST somehow, on HE it's useless for me

I agree with all of the above, except that.

My general experience (since we can only speak to our own real life experiences) is that battery reporting is pretty useless, regardless of HA platform.

3 Likes

It might be a little more than useless, but still, the low battery notifications aren't working for me.

1 Like

Yeah that setup looks correct.
I believe the “trigger” is on the transition from above the value, to below the value so are you sure you didn’t start with a battery below the threshold you’ve set ?
That wouldn’t act as the trigger.
That’s about the only thing I can think of.

3 Likes

That could be it. It's been up and down a lot after the update.

I'd suggest taking a fine point sharpie™ and write the date the battery was replaced, when it dies you know your lifetime, then change batteries on a schedule.
I tried very hard to make battery notifications work, they're not reliable for most devices.

3 Likes

I usually do that.

1 Like

The low battery notifications work for me with Push. I think the results will depend upon how sleepy your device is. My Iris v1 and v2 work well as does smartthings devices. Not sure about zwave devices, those batteries lsdr

Well, my zigbee presence sensor is now down to 12%.