DIY Security System

I'm currently a ST user and trying to migrate my configuration over so it works on Hubitat locally. I use a few ST multisensors for doors and windows and Iris v2 contact sensors for some of my other doors. Most of these sensors are reporting into Hubitat via HubConnect. I have a Dome Siren that I have a custom rule in ST Smart Home Monitor to tell me when doors open with an audible beep. Also, when the house is in Night armed or Away Armed my Dome Siren alerts if any of the sensors trip. What is the best way to reproduce this in Hubitat? I want to have a game plan and testing before I start removing sensors from ST.

Hi, @Nitr0. Welcome to Hubitat! Many of us here (myself included), moved over from SmartThings, so you're in good company.

You could achieve this many different ways in Hubitat, but Home Security Monitor and Rule Machine (two built-in apps) would be good starting points. I think you will generally find everything you need for your use case with one/both of these built-in apps.

1 Like

HSM is good, but if you want great, look into Nyckelharpa, an HSM extension that makes it perfect

1 Like

HSM (Hubitat Safety Monitor) app will have you covered for arming/disarming and turning on the dome siren if a contact sensor is tripped when the system is armed.

The built in Notification App, I find, is speedier than Rule Machine for a quick audible tone when a door opens.

The one thing I've found is that there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to audibly alert you that the the alarm has been tripped and the siren is going to go off soon. This is called intrusion delay in HSM. I tried having the dome siren beeping repeatedly but the dome siren would continue beeping far after the alarm or intrusion delay was cancelled. I tried a repeating announcement on a google home device but occasionally my google home seems to get stuck and doesn't speak when it's supposed to. This is a deal breaker for me with little kids sleeping at night; we want to know when we've tripped the alarm and the siren is going to go off. I've recently been told that putting the google home on a reserved IP address and/or using an app called "Chromecast Helper" might help speaking over a google home be more reliable but I wanted a fool proof and local solution. So I ordered a Centralite 3400 Keypad which has a built in intrusion delay beeping and talks locally to the hub, no internet connection required. Hopefully this takes my DIY alarm from DIY to semi-professional!

1 Like

I get that you’re using something with SmartThings that is working for you, and I must admit to being surprised because not a lot of people do find SmartThings to be a reliable security system), but I would suggest perhaps you would be happier with a stand-alone security system integrated to HE instead.

You’re too late for the super low price deals, but Ring Alarm is still priced great right now for what you get. When integrated with HE, you get an awesome system that works with Alexa too. You can even integrate your existing contact sensors with it and trigger off its state.

This community integration works incredibly well, but do heed the warnings.

1 Like

I have quite a bit into customizing the Smartthings version of this over the last 2 years and it works really well there. Some of the stuff in Nyckelharpa looks like stuff I'm currently doing along with the rules machine. I started trying some of the HSM with some extra door sensors I had but wasn't getting the same notifications I was getting with ST.

I have no interest in getting into a Ring system since I already have all the pieces built over time between my current camera DVR, sensors, keypads, and my sharptools.io panels. Again, this all works in ST today its just the matter of planning out the pieces and the time to break it out of ST and pull it into Hubitat.

Thanks all for the information. I'm going to look into all the above and try building it out.

One thing I almost forgot. I have my Schlage Connect locks currently alerting in ST for when the door is unlocked manual, electronic and when a user unlocks with a code. I'm using "Lock User Management" to do this in ST. Is there an equivalent for this in Hubitat?

1 Like

Lock Code Manager is the HE app for managing user codes, and then you can use Rule Machine to send notifications when the door is unlocked by a specific code.

You can notify via the Hubitat app for iOS or Android, or you can use Twillo, or you can use a homegrown solution if you want.

I finally had time to get all my devices migrated from ST to HE. I added lock manager but it doesn't work. When I try to add it I get the following.

Unexpected Error

An unexpected error has occurred trying to load the app. Check Logs for more information.

Error: No such property: name for class: java.lang.String

Try removing LCM, reboot and install again.

I tried that but it still provides the same result.

Tap the log link and post it please.

app:2892020-01-21 08:40:03.064 am errorgroovy.lang.MissingPropertyException: No such property: name for class: java.lang.String on line 1279 (main)

Tagging @bobbyD and @mike.maxwell, but please submit a support request via support@hubitat.com so it can get into the ticket system for tracking.

What is your hub platform version?

1 Like

Do you get to this point after adding LCM? Tried adding LCM on my test hub and cannot duplicate any issues.

I'll open a ticket for the issue. I don't even get that far. I get that error when just trying to install the built-in app. It shows that its install but when you go to it I just get the error again. I'm on version 2.1.8.117.

Thanks for reporting this and sorry for the troubles. Do you have any device that can be used with Lock Code Manager? If so, what make, model and driver is using?

I excluded and reset my Schlage Connect lock and reconnected it to the hub via z-wave. After doing this I was able to install the Lock code manager and it is now working as expected. It now comes up with the page to add a new user.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.