[DIY] Convert Samsing Button to 2x AAA Batteries

I recently posted about how one of my Samsung buttons has decided to eat through a coin cell battery within 3 weeks. I tried several things to troubleshoot, even moving the button to a different hub. In the end, I replaced it.

But not being one to toss aside an otherwise funcational device, I decided to modify it to use AAA batteries and give it a new life in my basement workshop. I've been wanting a button to override motion lighting near my toolbox for a while but the cheapskate in me couldn't justify even $13 for a button that might get used 1-2 times a month. But now that I had one in the junk drawer, opportunity struck.... it's time to get out the soldering iron!

Here's what you'll need:

• Samsung Button
  • 2x AAA Battery Holder (or 2X AA)
  • Soldering Iron
  • Solder
  • 5/32" Drill Bit
  • Drill

Let's build it!

1. Remove the battery from the button and re-install the back.
  2. Drill a 5/32" hole in the center of the button, being careful not to drill in too far and damage the PCB.
  3. Drill out the channel in one direction to feed the wires. I found it easy just to hold the drill perpendicular to the button and let the bit slowly route out the channel.

1. Remove the button back.
  2. Feed the wires through the hole, making sure the battery pack is on the outside.
  3. Take the black wire and wrap it around the metal tab in the center and solder it.
  4. Take the red wire and wrap it around the metal tab on the side and solder it.

1. Insert batteries and observe if button powers on by the green LED.
  2. Re-install the cover.

1. Make any further adjustments in the channel depth if the wires do not sit flush.
  2. Install your button!

I did a similar modification to a SmartThings 2nd generation motion sensor that used the coin cell batteries. At the time I was seeing 3-4 months of battery life. It has been over a year and that sensor is still using the original batteries!

Good luck!

7 Likes

Cool!

1 Like

Neat. You'll probably really like this !

2 Likes