DIY- Battery Backup Hubitat- under TEN bucks-NO soldering

This! Exactly same for me. Plus Derek has promised me privately he's going to sign mine, and then I'm going to turn around and sell it on eBay for millions. :wink::rofl:

2 Likes

You get double the run time and much better quality design. In particular I’ll be configuring these to use LFP batteries which are much better suited to use in a UPS.

LFP batteries aren’t supported by the cheap board. It also has no under voltage cutoff that I can find and will run batteries till they die. This new design doesn’t.

3 Likes

And hopefully V2 gets a zigbee chip :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’ve been looking into the idea, the off the shelf Zigbee modules are quite expensive ATM, Just the chip is $20 ATM.

I'd buy it still

1 Like

I'll keep investigating - DIY Zigbee doesnt seem very common.

1 Like

I've been using a variation of this board for my zigbee projects.

It can be programmed as a UART using firmware from PTVO. I have a number of them in my system some a couple of years old.

I guess its possible to put the TI cc2530 chip on the supply board but with the area shown in the original version I'll guess there would be plenty of room if the BMS circuitry was moved around.

Oh nice, I hadn't seen that one before - the edge castellations would certainly make integration easy too. I think an integrated PCB antenna would be ideal for this application.

Btw my DigiKey order just arrived - Im just waiting for the Mouser parts and the PCB's from JLC in China (I got a shipping notification yesterday).

2 Likes

It's Christmas in May!

1 Like

@dJOS Derek did you get your Powerwall? I'm curious as to your experience, as I dont think it transitions from Grid to Off Grid during an outage all that smoothly. Most of the stuff in my home handles the transition fine, but my C4 and C5 dont seem to like it much, although the C7s handle it fine. Interestingly, one LED light also seems to have an issue, as does one of our laptop docking stations.

ATX psus, other gadgets and our appliances, as well as most LEDs seem to handle the transition fine.

S

BTW, I'm in for four...possibly 5. Need a spare!

S.

2 Likes

I sure did - I have my C7's on those cheap Banggood USB UPS's still so they never have issues.

The only items in my house that notice the Power transition are my Server UPS's - everything else doesnt notice. It's been great not having to reset the fridge or microwave clocks every few days. :grin:

1 Like

Wow, I might limit them to 2 per customer for the first batch - simply because I'm only making 20 to start with.

I will very likely produce another batch of 20 after that as I ordered about 50 PCB's. However I only ordered enough parts to make 20 as the upfront costs are around $900 AUD.

1 Like

:grin: I can live with 2! I'll consider it fiscally responsible to spread out my purchases! Lol

Yeah, i'm with you. My concern is sump pumps more than clocks, but it is a massive relief that i can weather multi-hour outages without being concerned about pumps, freezers and my home automation! :slight_smile:
S.

P.s. theres also the satisfaction of looking out my windows, brightly backlit by all my lights, while drinking a whiskey and serenely observing the darkened homes of my poor benighted neighbors...but we don't gloat in this house, no we don't. LOL

1 Like

Don't know if this info is useful , since design is complete, but maybe for future ventures, here's the schematic for the Pipower, it's actually 2.00 off at amazon today 17.99. I have one and it's been working great.

1 Like

I'll take a look, however, this project is too far down the rabbit hole to cancel.

1 Like

Of course, I just thought for our next project, which according to my calculations you're late on starting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:rofl: I'm still waiting for the PCB's, Fuses and Inductors for this one.

PS, SWMBO was not best pleased when she saw my credit card statement yesterday! :rofl:

2 Likes

It's like that scene where Godzilla walks into the city and starts knocking things over, right?

1 Like

It was like that. :crazy_face: Followed by "you said your CC was X, now it's Y ... Please explain!". :joy:

1 Like