DIY 1923 Offgrid Home total refurbishment Wiring

I have totally gutted this 1920 model house. All sheetrock has been removed down to the studs. Everything will be new and on a value retirement budget. The 7.5 Kwh Solar with 21 Kwh batteries will power the electrical thus high priority for low wattage systems.

Goal - ALL local control, HE only hub, small computer with network switch, dimmable strip lights under kitchen cabinets and living recessed ceiling (white only 5v or 12v or 24v), dimmable 6" LED lights (white only), smart bulb behind living room TV showing status of solar batteries (red hue <20% - yellow hue between 20% to 60% - green hue > 60%), radiant heated floors (need control options), ceiling fan controls, smart inwall switches, and option for monitoring the solar systems data. Smart TV will be the primary display.

Only items purchased so far: Reolink RLN8-410

New to HA and looking for great lower cost options.

This looks like a fun project. I would hard wire security and consider a DSC Powerseries (NOT NEO) and Envisalink. That way you can hard wire you're motions, doors and windows and use them in HE (never change batteries); and you get an alarm system as a bonus. This will use almost no material amount power. Do not forget ethernet to every location that might have a TV.

2 Likes

I would avoid Z-wave at all costs. Find Zigbee solutions.

1 Like

Thank you for this tip and looking into the DSC NOW!!! I hate batteries.

1 Like

Make are you only buy the FULL MESSAGE keypads and consider one of them a wireless version. That will allow you add wireless devices if ever needed.

1 Like

Does this fit the hard wire needs? DSC POWERSERIES: PC1616
and EnvisaLink is needed for HE and phone interaction?
What wired PIRs do you suggest for this situation.

1 Like

Yes. This device comes with 6 zones on board and you can get an adapter for another 10 zones (16 total). I still think you get 32 wireless zones if you buy the DSC RFK5564ENG keypad. I would suggest the PC1832 which gives you 8 zones on board and you are expandable to 32 hardwired zones. They are almost the same price anyway.

1 Like

For switches I will always recommend Lutron...

4 Likes

I will double down on that. Lutron Caseta will the job for this house.

1 Like

does Lutron need hub?
My main entry will probably be 3 gang ( inside lights, fan, outside lights) and would love the door contacts to turn on the lights should it be dark. Can I do this function thru the DSC device?

1 Like

Yes you will need the pro hub 2. HE controls it via Telnet. Lightning fast. It's very low power but Lutron switches just don't fail. It also gives you access to PICO's I haven't changed batteries in any of mine for 10 years (literally have a few that are 12 years old that I haven't changed)

I also agree completely for a rock solid reliable system. While the Lutron switches may be more expensive per switch compared to some cheaper available z-wave or zigbee in wall switches, this appears to be a very small house with few rooms so the total cost differential of your entire built-out will be relatively small. Also, this allows great flexibility with the use of picos. Great advice from @rlithgow1 and @silverton38 !

3 Likes

Sold on good advice! Lutron wall switches.

1 Like

Thank you, this is a done deal. Lutron wall switches. Now must figure out the other items.

2 Likes

Pico's too! Only $15.00 and they can fit in wall plates so they're indistinguishable from a regular switch or can be mounted on a pedestal..

1 Like

Ditto on Lutron. No one will claim it is a "lower cost option" but it is SO worth it. For those fans I would hard wire the fans to a switchbox and then use a Lutron fan switch :slight_smile:

There's another thread where someone is asking similar questions about new construction. You might want to check that out. It's an interesting discussion.

2 Likes

Yes his thread is GREAT; however his client has DEEP pockets, which is why I asked same only different. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah good point. At the very least though I think you're skimping on ethernet drops :slight_smile:

Yes, GREAT stuff in @silverton38 ’s thread that should be considered no matter the budget, big or limited, so anyone with the fortunate circumstance of being able to do this from scratch goes into this very educated. When I started with DIY home automation (geez, its been about 35 years ago now) I did not even know enough to know what to ask. I became a noob again when I started with Hubitat two years ago! Can’t overemphasize how great a community this is.

I figure Lutron Dimmer would handle the 6" LED (circles in kitchen and living) due to 110vac.
Will Lutron do this for white only LED strips?
ON/OFF with dimmer for under cabinet kitchen and living room (square around the fan is a 18" alcove with strip around perimeter).

1 Like