Display Panel

Hi all. I am looking for an display panel for Hubitat.
I looked for Android based intercom display but couldn't find anything analog ( I am living in an apartment ).
So i saw in AliExpress there are doorbell systems with Android and ZigBee which works with Tuya.
Can i connect the panel to Hubitat by ZigBee or just download the Hubitat app?

Thanks.

This on it's own seems relatively straight forward in that many users have used either an old iPad or Android Tablet, including me :slight_smile:

The requirements for these will vary based on whether you want / need to run the official Hubitat App, open a HE dashboard within a browser, or operate one of the (now) many third-party options for dashboard display from a HE hub. All of these options would connect to the HE hub over your LAN, likely a Wi-Fi connection. I can't imagine you will connect anything via an analog connection, more likely a data connection such as Wi-Fi, but I expect Wi-Fi is likely what you need, removing the need to run any cables in a rental.

Your references to an intercom display and doorbell's throws into question whether you are after a basic tablet-like display, or something that is integrated with these more specific use-cases.... You may need to spell out your requirements in these areas (doorbells and intercomm's). If you are looking for a generic Android / Apple tablet, that will connect to HE via Wi-Fi or less likely via ethernet, and I doubt (but don't discount) that some custom display devices may use Z-like protocols.

Anyway, more info will be required to offer a more targeted suggestion..... At least from me....

2 Likes

Like Simon mentioned, I’m not sure I understand what exactly you’re looking for either, and more details are probably needed here.

Do you want to view an intercom video on a tablet?

Do you want to use a tablet instead of physical buttons+speaker+microphone to talk and listen to someone at the door, then grant access by unlocking the door?

Both?

Regardless, I think you’re going to find your options for use cases like these are quite limited.

Anything is possible with sufficient DIY skills, I suppose, but I’d be surprised if commercially available, off-the-shelf solutions would meet these needs (assuming I’m not way off re: what you’re trying to do).

2 Likes

I wouldn't downplay the possibilities just yet... But like we agreed, requirements will dictate this and the solution that will best suit.

2 Likes

I'm actually looking for the same thing but haven't found it. I'm an electronics engineer with a knack for DIY so I'm thinking on making something like a Z-Wave 7 inch paper white display panel that hangs on the wall that can accept and display text notifications/messages from the hub.

1 Like

Any reason Wi-Fi is not an option? Is it range?

My Nook reader has a paper white display with wifi. I just tried to plug it in to check, but couldn't find a cable with a non-C usb connector, lol. I guess I don't read that much.

It's a nice size, the batteries last forever, and (I think) it has wifi. Perfect for someone with hacking skilz.

1 Like

@sburke781 @JoeJ @marktheknife @velvetfoot
Hi all.
I want to add display panel for He. First i thought to buy android tablet and that's it. My apartments intercom system is old and thought why not to integrate and android intercom system with HE but i couldn't find anything suitable for my intercom system cause it is very old.
Than i found some intercom/doorbell system with camera based on Android ( Not for all the building just for my apartment ).
What i want is doorbell camera system ( cause there is no intercom system) with display unit that i can control also HE. I don't mind to run cables through walls. I prefer not using wifi cause i want to control locally.

While I can't offer any specific product suggestion, I am sure there are plenty of options for doorbells and cameras that can either integrate with HE or at least be presented on HE dashboards for you to view and control.

So in answer to your questions about a display panel, I don't think your choice of a display panel needs to be tied to your choice of a doorbell / camera, just that you can run either the Hubitat App or even just a standard browser would do, to display a HE dashboard. I can understand if you are looking to purchase a doorbell / camera that comes with a display that also allows for HE control, but I think an Android / Apple tablet would open up more possibilities for you to use it for other things as well, or to re-purpose it for a completely different use in the future.

In terms of using Wi-Fi, this would not stop you from having completely local control, the display would still be talking directly to your HE hub over the LAN. Granted in certain situations a Wi-Fi signal may be problematic. If that is what you are concerned about, then you will need to look at options for tablets that can utilise some kind of wired network option. I expect some may be able to utilise a USB-C adaptor, but that's just a guess.

You’re able to mount a doorbell camera at the building entrance and run wiring back to your apartment?

@sburke781
I didn't know ( if i understood you right ) that i can see camera in HE app.
How can i connect it to app?

@marktheknife
No i can't from the entrance of the building but i can from the apartment.

What I believe most people do is make use of a web-based feed of the vision from their camera on a HE dashboard. So not integrated directly into HE, but available on a dashboard, potentially alongside other controls that might be useful. As a recent example (and I'm not saying I recommend or don't recommend this product, just using this as a recent example of what I am talking about):

I've documented elsewhere in this community exactly how it works with the HE dashboard. Take a look at those postings and I think it will answer your questions.
The HE dashboard will show the video from the camera.
As for the rest of the features such as two way voice, etc I am still working on integrating them into my network.
A lot of what I will be doing with the doorbell cameras centers around using them with my Amazon Echos.
However, as a doorbell camera with the latest fix I got from Reolink my cameras are now display video which was the first step I wanted with my HE dashboard displays.
Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Since Hubitat dashboards are viewed in a web browser, there are some limitations in how IP camera feeds can be viewed. But it’s possible as @gtracy described.

Getting alerts from doorbell pushes and two-way audio is a whole additional can of worms though.

While Hubitat might be able to handle button pushes from some doorbells, there isn’t really any way to do two-way audio that I know of.

I agree...

1 Like

Ok . Thank you all.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.