Disable descriptionText logging on a device from a user app

Is it possible to disable descriptionText logging on a child device from the parent app or configured it as disabled at the time of creation?

I can't comment for sure on apps, but with one of my drivers I setup as a parent / child setup, I had my child devices check a setting on the parent device when determining whether to log anything, including settings for description, debug and error logging. If this is possible for apps it may be a way to achieve what you want, given the app setting would be configured how you want when you setup the device. That said, if you wanted it different per device that would be a different story....

Another idea would be if you could write a method in the child device driver to set a logging setting on the child device you could call that immediately after creating it....? Or are you using child devices with built-in drivers?

Using built in.

1 Like

I use this in my custom apps and drivers. You would need to know the input setting name as my example below is what I personally use.
childDevice.updateSetting("isDebugEnabled",[value:true, type:"bool"])

1 Like

According to this example driver from HE, setting variable names are:
input name: "logEnable", type: "bool", title: "Enable debug logging", defaultValue: true
input name: "txtEnable", type: "bool", title: "Enable descriptionText logging", defaultValue: true

So the following should work:
childDevice.updateSetting("txtEnable",[value:false, type:"bool"])

2 Likes