Directly pair zigbee hue and cree bulbs with hubitat

Can I pair bulbs directly with the hubitat unit yet? I really don't like having to use the hue bridge and I have a bunch of zigbee bulbs from hue and some cheap ones from cree I think I got a while ago.

Yes, but most Zigbee bulbs and Cree bulbs in particular don't play well with anything other than other bulbs, so if you have any zigbee sensors or plan on using sensors you will have some issues in the future.

Can I ask why? The bulbs support more features when used with a Hue Bridge (e.g., default power-on state--Hue bulbs only), and I've found it to be more reliable than pairing the bulbs directly to Hubitat, and not just for the reason above (which is an important consideration, but my issues were with bulbs not always responding to commands sent in quick succession, like Set Level and Set Color Temperature, which I think I recently saw that they were aware of will, hopefully, fix).

I know it's another device, but in my experience, it works really well, the only downside being that Hue doesn't have an API to "push" changes to integrations (outside HomeKit, so I mean HTTP/HTTPS like most use), so they rely on polling.

3 Likes

Honestly don't like about attack surface. Kinda thought all this would have been resolved by now.

Resolved in what way?, we have no control over devices that dont route well...

2 Likes

I had the same problems when I was using SmartThings. Bad devices are bad no matter what platform theyโ€™re on. I ditched the ones that caused problems and put all of my lights on a second HE (except Hue).

1 Like

The Hue Bridge is capable of working entirely locally--no Internet connection needed (for anything besides optional firmware updates and, of course, out-of-home control unless you use a VPN or similar to get back in). Philips also seems to be pushing towards an HTTPS API for local/LAN communication, though most integrations probably still use HTTP.

I'm not sure what your specific concerns are, but maybe one or both of these is helpful information for you.

Maybe the issues with CT and level not always getting set? (But yes, not clear to me if they meant the routing isssue or this issue that I brought up without being asked to. :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

its really that i want the sensors all fully functional and bulbs fully functional with no network at all. like completely unplugged. i have battery backups or built in batteries for most them. router n network drains my ups real quick. the point is full autonomy so an AIO device means the network is not needed. 10 vs 60+ min so.

Right, so I think they only way to achieve what your after is to use Zigbee ONLY for lighting and use Zwave for ALL other sensors. That way the poor routing bulbs won't screw up any other sensors and your UPS or backup device will only have to power the 1 HE Hub.

Obviously that's a bit of a compromised design but it seems to fit your needs.

huh. i left the crees on the hue but paired all the hue ones with all 9 zigbee v2 iris motion sensors there plus two 4 button hue dimmers. no issues yet. the bulbs r two regular white 2 ambiance color n 2 rgbw ones. idk. these bulbs screwed it up last year n 4 button switches didnt work @all. maybe the updates 2 the bulbs from the hue bridge did it? idk.

Nice one man, but only time will tell if your system is indeed stable.
If it starts playing up, at least you'll know how to resolve it.

By leaving some bulbs on the Hue though doesn't that negate the fact that your network still has to be powered up, which was something I thought you were looking to avoid.

Either way, it's fun tinkering.

only till i get 2 more hue ones n chuck them cree

1 Like

How did you get your bulbs to pair with HE, im struggling to get the HE to see them

They should pair fine to HE. That said, you don't want to have them on the same hubitat as zigbee sensors. The reason is that HUE, Cree and the like are ZLL based, whereas sensors and what not are ZHA based. ZLL make very bad repeaters and messengers and will bring down a mesh. So it's always recommended to have them either on a hue bridge or another Hubitat. Now back to your bulbs. We're they previously paired with anything? If so factory reset the bulb. Secondly get yourself a small lamp and bring it closer to the hub during pairing to see of that helps. Once paired move to final place and let settle.

Thanks for that.

using separate HE on a different channel, bulbs were pair to Hew hub which has failed. I reset the bulbs with a dimmer but i wasnt holding the buttons for long enough. Sorted now thanks. hours of repairing and re doing automations now....

1 Like

One of the reasons I use a lamp for resetting bulbs... Easier lol

Hi thanks for your help so far.

Im adding the bulbs no problem now, but i cant seem to control them, Im using the huect driver for white ambiance and hue rgbw for colour /white lamps. am i doing something wrong here?

I added the lamps all in one go and am now changing the drivers for them. is there something im missing?

Sussed it, wrong drivers! need to use advanced zigbee.

1 Like

Ok i have them all up and paired, the bulbs are all on their own HE and the rest of the devices and the Apps on the other HE hub.
The time delay between the sensor detecting motion and the lamp lighting up is very noticeable. how can i shorten this????
Your going to say put them all on a hue hub arnt you ? :rofl: