Direct connection to router works, but not via socket in a wall

Hello there,

I have an issue connecting Hubitat hub to my local network. When I connect by cable directly to a router everything works fine, but when I connect it to a socket in a wall the hub cannot be connected and I see in router settings that it is not connected. When I connect laptop to the same socket internet on laptop is accessible. in another words

ok: Hubitat -- cable - router
not ok: Hubitat -- cable -- socket -- cable -- router
ok: laptop -- cable -- socket -- cable -- router

what might be a problem?
Thanks

When you say you connect the hub to a socket in the wall, are you talking about an ethernet connection in the wall? The laptop works fine when connected to this wall port but HE does not?

Can you describe your network layout a bit more? Is there an end run from the wall ethernet port to your router with nothing else in between?

Maybe run a Tracert from the PC to the gateway… Also could be port speed/negotiation

Yeah I was thinking try fixed 100... but I also wonder if this may be an auto-MDIX thing... like the laptop is equipped with auto-MDIX but HE is not... but that would also mean the router is not.

Sounds like an Ethernet cabling/wiring problem. I would recommend a cable tester to verify that all of the wiring is up to spec. Also, what type of wiring is in the walls? Was this professionally installed running new Cat5e (or better) cabling? Or was some wiring reused? How long is the cable in the walls?

Really hard to troubleshoot a problem within your home’s network cabling from afar.

1 Like

yes, it is all Ethernet connection, RJ-45 plugs (as far as I understood Hubitat does not support to be connected to the internet via WiFi)

I see on devices list in the router that it doesn't appear after connection. Obviously connecting via IP in the browser fails. I think no point to trace

@ogiewon how do I test the wiring to be sure it is connected as needed for Hubitat? do I need special device? It is not professionally installed, I can rewire it if needed, I just need to know how. cable is around 10m long

thank you all

Yes, you want a network line tester. A basic one can be had very cheaply. Likely your wiring is bad. Any time you do network wiring you should be using a tester. You've basically proven this by plugging your HE directly into the router. When you wired your lines did you wire it as a straight through or actual 568b? If straight through I would rewire both ends. If you did wire 568b, then likely there is something wrong with one of your ends. If after redoing those and it still shows bad on the tester, the entire line will need replaced.

@rlithgow1 , understood, will try to get a tester. thanks

1 Like

Are you in the US?

@rlithgow1 no, not even in A

Gotcha... Was gonna recommend home depot since it's a sunday...:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

See:

3 Likes