Dimming Low Voltage Outdoor Lights

I have low voltage outdoor wall lights that are too bright. When they were installed I used a Zooz dimmer switch to control them, and it worked initially. But the switch was very hot, and recently failed... it no longer turns the lights on/off. Zooz tells me their dimmer switches are not rated for use with a low voltage transformer.

The transformer outputs 12VAC. I am in the US.

I am now looking for another solution.

I do not need to easily change the level of the lighting, or even control it from the hub ... once I get the right level I just need to switch them on/off via the hub.

I see various low voltage smart dimmers but they take 12 VDC, not AC. The outdoor lights are capable of taking 12VDC or AC.

Options:

1. Replace the transformer (it's in the basement) with one that outputs 12VDC, use an on/off switch for the 120VAC to it, and put a 12VDC dimmer on the transformer output to the outside lights.

2. Find a smart switch capable of driving a transformer. Which one?

3. Use a smart fan speed control switch on low, e.g., GE Jasco ZW4002 (is it compatible with a low voltage transformer? seems a bit risky, but I could try it)

The easiest solution is a switch that can drive the transformer, but I don't see many explicitly rated for that purpose. (Lutron says something about it, but I don't have any Lutron devices now.)

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-Alan

Or buy something like Twinkly outdoor lights which are inherently dimmable.