Dimmer control IKEA, which way to go

Just getting started.
First task - adding my TrĂĄdfri bulbs and controllers. Bulbs and on/off controllers - no problems. I have some of the round 5 button controllers that I have no luck with.

Reading in the forum it seems like they will not work. Or is there a solution but I'm not finding it?

Can I program a button to control dim eg. Step 10% up at each push? Long push to turn off?

The steering wheel controller won't work, and there are no plans to make them work.
If they ever release a zigbee 3.0 version, it may work, but the current ZLL version won't.

Yes, but none of the Ikea buttons/controllers can do this.

You need a button controller that supports both pushable and holdable
Current productoin and tested tested devices supporting these capabilities, in no particular order are:
RGBgenie ZB-5122
RGBgenie ZB-5028
Somfy 2 Button Controller
Fibaro Button
Fibaro KeyFob
NodOn Soft Remote
NodOn Octan Remote
The latest Samsung Button
Sylvania Dimmer Switch
Any Lutron Pico (pro bridge required)
Aeotec NanoMotes
Hank Scene Controllers
Philips Dimmer Switch
ERIA Dimmer Switch
Remotec ZRC-90
Lightify Smart Switch
RGBgenie ZB-3026
Aeon WallMotes
RGBgenie ZB-5121

Thank you for a quick answer.
Could you help me with some directions how to set a switch up as a dimmer?
I have an aqara double switch that I got connected that I'll try to use first.

I'm not following, a switch and a dimmer are two different types of devices, so a switch can't be a dimmer since it doesn't support level settings like a dimmer does.
Regarding the aquara double switch, this isn't a built in tested device and I have no experience with it.
Others may be able to help in this regard.

Seems like @Royski has something working. Maybe this is close to what you’re looking for?

1 Like

I can't seem to find the Tradfri Dimmer on the Ikea website anymore. Are they still making that device?

The device he is asking about isn't the dimmer, it's the round 5 button controller. or Tradfri Remote.

Those don't work with Hubitat.

1 Like

Pretty sure you can’t use these for dimming purposes, as they have no “released” if held. You maybe be able to do something with subsequent pushes, but it wouldn’t be perfect.

Thanks, learning a lot here.

My thinking was to use a push button to control dimming of a bulb.
"If button1 pushed increase bulb1 with 10%"
Is this possible and if so; where do I start?

Maybe look at the button controller app?
I’m using webCoRE here which isn’t everybody’s cup of tea :wink:

In rule machine, you would use the action of "Adjust dimmer". To dim, just put a negative sign in front of the number. Then each press will raise or lower the bulb by that amount.

Thanks, just what I was looking for.

1 Like

Has there been any thought into making these Ikea remotes work with HE. I bought one as they had the Zigbee logo on the box and thought it may be compatible, alas no. Any reason they have not been made compatible?

Cheers

Those are not really worth it. But the Symfonisk Sound Controller does work and it is really nice. I’ve been using it for my Symfonisk speaker, but it can be used for lighting too. You can easily do smooth dimming on lights that support it, and with a little RM magic, you can do smooth sound control too. It feels like adjusting the volume with an analog dial. It’s quite impressive.

1 Like

Thanks
Pity being a zigbee device, that pairs easily, can be seen in the routing tables, but just cant assign a driver to. :slight_smile:

All good, hopefully find a home for them

1 Like

Why not return them to IKEA and swap for the Symfonisk sound controller? It has the same number of functions, is smaller and looks nicer too. Also comes in black in other countries, just not Canada yet. :rage:

HaHa yes good idea. However, just got back from Australia this morning and we dont have an Ikea in New Zealand. My wife has no idea I only went to Sydney with her, to get the Tradfri repeater :wink:

I picked up the symfonisk remote and put it back down as it didnt have the zigbee logo on the box. Maybe someone here in NZ may be using Tradfri that can use them

Well that's odd. The boxes here do have the Zigbee logo on the back. Maybe you can get one of the Aussies to send you some?

1 Like

Soon™ :grin:

2 Likes