Dilemma

Hi
I need suggestions
I have in my garage a z-wave switch that two times work and one not.
I think is because of the range, my HE is at the first floor 6/7 meters distance a wall in between.
My dilemma is :
I buy a z-wave reange extender?
Outside i have zigbee too, and maybe one day i will need a zigbee range extender.
This z-wave switch is the only one outside.
In future i will set a wifi range extender to cover my yard better, so can be possible use switch like shelly...
I know that the answer, the most logical, is use all z-wave or all zigbee .
But im new in this world and maybe i'm doing the next stupid things.
:slight_smile:

if you don't have a strong mesh then definitely improve it. you could always get a wall plug for an extender, or update other switches that can also act as a repeater. i have personally updated most of my switches to z-wave so have a solid mesh, even for my switches in my garage

1 Like

I would also like some suggestions regarding z-wave and zigbee repeaters

Z-Wave: Sorry, no idea what's available in Italy (frequency?).
Zigbee: IKEA Tradfri repeaters are working great for me. Any constantly powered Zigbee device should work as a repeater. Even these.

1 Like

EN 300 220 868.4 MHz, 869.85 MHz 230 V, 240 V, 220 V 50 Hz
E EU

Really is it indicated somehow on the device?

Not entirely the answer. Of course having all of one home automation wireless protocol could be ideal for obvious reasons, concentrate all your mesh to making one network better. I attempted to do that when I started my home automation journey but quickly discovered there is not one protocol to rule them all, and I ended up building a mesh of both Z-wave and Zigbee where it made sense. I found there are some devices in each camp that fit my needs better, so I leveraged the best in each case.

My suggestion, you simply need some Z-wave repeaters. Now there are very few differences between a main powered Z-wave device and a dedicated repeater. So if you have uses for more main powered devices, then install those first. Then finally augment what you need with repeaters to fill in the gaps.

1 Like

I put a zigbee outlet in each room and wired all the switches zwave. This gave me good coverage for both throughout the house. I try to keep the number of zigbee battery devices to 3 or less per mains powered. I have a couple of areas such as the living room and kitchen with quite a few battery devices so I added extra zigbee outlets to these areas. This also splits up the load between the two radios.

1 Like