Difficulties with new model of Philips Hue Motion Sensors

I have 8 motion sensors to trigger Lutron switches and Hue lights around my home. 3 of the motion sensors are 4 year old Hue sensors that I ran off of a Hue hub prior to my Hubitat, but have been running them on Hubitat since. Since I began using Hubitat, I've expanded using Hue and AGSHome Zigbee motion sensors depending on whether the room received enough daylight to make use of the light sensor in the Hue.

Everything has always worked wonderfully until........... Hue's new motion sensor that, as best I can tell, started distributing this year.

This month, I put a Lutron Caseta dimmer switch in my primary bathroom, and I wanted it to trigger with a Hue motion sensor. It detected just fine, but it wouldn't communicate again after the initial setup. I deleted and readded it several times, and thinking perhaps it was a communication issue, I added it the last time with it right next to my Hubitat. Every attempt was the same: It would add without issue, but would not communicate again.

On a hunch, I setup the new Hue sensor in the Hue app on the Hue Bridge, and there were zero issues, BUT that makes a horrible pain to utilize my Lutron switch.

I managed a workaround to get my needs met: I have a room that had some old Hue bulbs and an old Hue sensor. I swapped that sensor into my primary bathroom, and its functioning just like I wanted it to with my new Lutron Caseta dimmer. I took the new Hue sensor and connected it to the Hue app/Bridge and moved it into the room that has the old Hue bulbs, and its functioning outside of Hubitat entirely via Hue.

Here is the info my Hubitat listed for my older Hue sensors:
model: SML001
application: 02
firmwareMT: (varies)
softwareBuild: (varies)
manufacturer: Philips

The new Hue sensor seems to be a different manufacturer, and it doesn't give firmware or software data:
endpointId: 02
model: SML003
application: 02
manufacturer: Signify Netherlands B.V.

In light of this issue, if anyone can give me a recommendation on how to get connectivity from a new Hue sensor, or another quality motion and light sensor for any future expansion needs, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Signify is the new name for Philips Lighting, so the manufacturer is probably the same--just a different way of representing that fact. But the model does appear to be new and at least slightly different (more sensitivity options? greater range?), at least according to a few sources I could find like this: https://hueblog.com/2021/12/08/old-or-new-motion-sensor-how-big-is-the-difference/

So I suppose the question is whether staff have tested the new motion sensor yet. I'm guessing not--and unlike some partners, Philips/Signify probably isn't the kind of company to just send them one for this purpose. :smiley: There may be some driver tweaks needed to make it work.

Tagging @mike.maxwell since he's probably the best one to ask.

1 Like

Like the new setup/reset button. :slight_smile:

Philips-Hue-Bewegungsmelder-2-rotated

Yes that part has been nice, resetting it and reconnecting it so much. Do you have yours successfully added to your Hubitat?

Mine are all version 1, they only go on sale here once a year (aka my price range).
And the new version will probably take a couple years to make it here. :wink:

@Ranchitat Yes Hue's price is high, which is why I've really enjoyed being able to use the AGSHome sensors in a lot of areas. $18! The Hue sensors are only going into rooms that have huge windows, and for everything else AGS saves the day.

Looks like their changing it on all devices.
Found this on my Smart Button data after upgrading to the latest firmware with my Hue bridge.

02001E00

02002F08

Hmm, do tell, a phillips smart button? How does it work? Does it fall off constantly, like the original hue dimmer(the one with separate on/off buttons)?
Is it directly connected to HE?

1 Like

They've been around a couple years.
Works fine, well built, single function/switch.
No problems with mine staying connected, nor with my V1 dimmers.
Both are connected to HE, only my Hue Tap is connected to my Hue bridge.

There was a slight glitch during pairing but all's been well since.

2 Likes

:rofl:
They arenโ€™t the most resilient things. Iโ€™ve seen them fall off on the Hue bridge as well, but they will automagically reconnect to Hue after flashing a few times.
The Aurora rotary dimmers are my new favorite. They seem to stay connected to Hue or HE equally well. After having bought 10 of them 3 months ago, I still have nothing but good things to say about them as long as you donโ€™t get too heavy handed with pushing the button :fist_right:
They occasionally go on sale for $10 off at Home Depot or Amazon.

I have several of the older Hue motion sensors. I have them paired directly with Hubitat, although I have a Hue bridge as well. The only thing on the Hue bridge is bulbs. They are great in that configuration.

I was considering purchasing another Hue motion sensor, but now I am not so sure. Is there any way to telling whether you are getting to old or new model when looking at the retail package?

To further confuse things Phillips sells a WiFi connected motion sensor to be used with their WIZ-connected lighting system.

where did you purchase the newer version from?

1 Like

Don't know if it's true but heard the hue dimmers have both a ZLL & ZHA profile, and I wonder if that's what is causing the fall off issues with the dimmers

The Hue bridge operates using ZLL. Thus, the dimmers will work with that. However, they also work directly with Hubitat that supports ZHA. I have not had any issue with my older Hue motion sensors pairing directly with Hubitat, even though I have a Hue bridge controlling light bulbs.

Yes, the older motion sensors are rock solid once paired. And the battery life on cheap AAA batteries is amazing. The Hue dimmers I gave up on. The newer dimmers have been good, but the older ones constantly fall off, even with 3 repeaters in each room on the 1st floor(LR, DR.Kitch) ~700 sq ft and the hub dead center of the 3 rooms.

I am having issues with a new Philips Hue motion sensor as well. It pairs fine but never updates. The newer model has the setup button on the back vs the push pin and the label on top is Philips Hue vs the old that just says Philips. Is there anything that I can do to get this new model working?

once added, run device inclusion again and press the setup button again, It will say a previous device was found and it will now work, I have installed 3 new ones are all fine after doing this tbh I seem to have to do this with most devices I add

That looks like it worked thanks

That worked great