Differences between HubConnect and Other Hub for SmartThings Integration

I am migrating from SmartThings, but want to keep some of my devices on SmartThings. I also like to have all of my systems in line (HomeKit, SmartThings, Hubitat, Alexa, Google Assistant). I've set up Other Hub with mixed results and recently came across HubConnect.

Other Hub:

HubConnect:

I'm wondering what the differences are between the two SmartThings <> Hubitat integrations. Does anyone have some insight on which to use?

I've used both. Other Hub is a bit older but still works well. It is probably also a bit easier to set up (YMMV). HubConnect is newer and quite powerful. I think most of the showstopping bugs some users had have been worked out, so it should work pretty well now. Functionally, the differences include:

• Other Hub lets you share HE devices to ST. Communication is bidirectional, but the "original" device must exist on HE; HubConnect lets you share devices from HE to ST or ST to HE (as well as HE to HE, similar to the HubLink/Link to Hub apps in HE but...better). The "original" device can live on either hub/platform.
  • HubConnect can sync arbitrary attributes, i.e., those the devices being shared actually have. Other Hub limits you to what the provided DTHs have. I've also noticed HubConnect being better about not actually populating attributes with a value (e.g., temperature) if the device doesn't really support it (e.g., some motion sensors), even if the driver/DTH implements it, but I haven't played around enough to notice the difference here (and it's probably not a good idea to do that if you really care--HubConnect allows custom drivers with only specific attributes, but I'm too lazy to do this and just use motion/temperature even if I only have motion...not sure how much this matters if I never use temperature on the "other" hub).
  • HubConnect supports many more types of devices, including thermostats, than Other Hub (and again theoretically allows even more with custom drivers)
  • HubConnect can sync modes from the "server" hub to the "remote" hub(s); I'm not sure this feature was ever implemented in Other Hub, though there are workarounds (virtual switches), which you'll need with either should you want to sync in the other direction anyway

Another thing to consider is that Other Hub development may have stalled, so updates are probably unlikely...but I could be wrong. The author is an active user and fantastic asset to the Hubitat (and ST) community, but I'm guessing the priority for this app has fallen as fewer people keep a dual ST/HE environment as HE keeps getting better and we've all been using it for longer and longer. :slight_smile: HubConnect is also developed and tested by fantastic community members. And if you only need one-way ST to HE integration, the built in Hub Link (or is it Link to Hub? I forget which goes which way) app can do that, but it can't communicate changes back, so the only real advantage is you'd be running all native HE code and Support would like you better should you need to contact them for any reason.

If you don't need much, Other Hub again might be a bit easier to set up (if I recall, just a few DTHs on ST plus an app each on ST and HE; HubConnect needs two apps on the server hub, an app on the remote hub(s), and drivers/DTHs--of which there are many--for each device type you plan to use from a different hub on the server or remote hubs). HubConnect is more capable, however. Doesn't hurt to try both, though if you already know Other Hub won't meet your needs, you might as well start with HubConnect. Just remember to make backups of your hub before you make big changes. :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply!

I would like to eventually decommission SmartThings, but as of now, I have a few devices on it that aren't yet on Hubitat. I haven't had a chance to try and port them over. When I do, maybe I'll join the rest of you in only being on Hubitat :grinning:

Link to Hub / Hub Link
OtherHub
HubConnect

The three musketeers of hub interconnection apps. :slight_smile: For ST <> HE, HubLink is an answer to the simple question of: how can I migrate away from ST?

In a two HE Hub scenario, the limited attribute exchange can become a show stopper.

A step up in capability for ST <> HE users is OtherHub, especially for people that plan on using ST for a while and need that bidirectional flow.

HubConnect targets the few of us with multiple hubs, especially more than two hubs. It works fine for two, but the extra install effort pays off as the hub count climbs. It implements a 'central' or 'coordinator' (server) role which may be ideal for a dedicated hub as the device count and automation complexities grow. Hubitat certainly encourages that growth by creating a highly extensible product. HubConnect is the only user extensible product of the three. As new devices or capabilities arrive, HubConnect allows users to create Custom Drivers for attributes not handled by the standard drivers without having to wait for the next release.

@bertabcd1234 gave an excellent overview and summary, really excellent, and my message is simply to reflect a little light into a few of the dimmer areas. :smiley:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.