Differences Between C-5 and C-7?

Not to mention the 700 series devices is sporting a 32bit arm core... The devices are going to get a lot smarter

6 Likes

So the $1M question is when a release is planned for the C-7? I see nothing has been posted here for a while, and I can't seem to locate any other information. Did I miss a pre-release announcement somewhere else? I ask is because I'm planning to purchase a hub shortly, but the Hubitat Store still shows sale of a C-5. From what I've been able to gather, it is designed for sale in the US. And yes, I know that my post screams of a 4-year old wanting to open a favourite Christmas gift!

You didn’t miss anything. IIRC hubitat staff have never even acknowledged the existence of the C7, we learned of it from FCC filings they are required to make.

The C5 is sold to several countries worldwide with a z-wave dongle that uses the appropriate regional frequency. It appears as though you’re in Canada, so you’d want the North American version that’s sold to users in both the US and Canada.

The C7 could be released a month from now, or theoretically, never. If you’re ready to buy a hubitat elevation hub now, I’d suggest going for it.

Thanks @marktheknife. I dug into the approval application a little further online tonight after happening across this thread. I hoped that given it seems approval was granted, and it's almost five months later, that maybe it was out and I just missed the official release date. I agree, if there hasn't been even an acknowledgement of its existence, it's anyone's guess what may happen from here. I wrote software many, many years ago and from my experiences then, was torn between whether to buy it or not if it was available. I'm not the only person in the home and really need to make sure I've got a stable environment. Often new releases of the latest and greatest need a few firmware revisions to exterminate the unexpected bugs (as I'm sure you are already aware). On the other hand, I'd hate not to jump on it (if it was becoming available shortly) because I would probably just get frustrated in not having the most current technology. I'm a bit of a geek that way :rofl: Sometimes it's just hard to live with myself!

1 Like

I hear you, I bought a smartthings hub in June 2015, and then they released their v2 hub in September of that year. Not the best timing, but in the end I still would’ve switched to hubitat anyway!

2 Likes

HE staff don’t normally comment on future projects.. So we won’t know anything until they are ready for a release...

8 Likes

Particularly something as major as new hub hardware.

3 Likes

It's always fun to speculate and see what exactly happens down the road. I can understand wanting to keep things pretty quiet. Now, just throwing it out there... I can't help but notice that the only version of C-5 currently available is for US/Canada. I'm going to "assume" the versions for Europe, UK/IRL and AUS/NZ were available at some point since they are all listed on the Hubitat Store. Keep in mind, I'm new here so don't know the history for certain. Makes one question if there's another reason none of these three options are in stock... say, selling off the existing supply before release? :thinking:

I can't see new hardware being that interesting for my uses, unless it includes a zwave 700 radio i guess. My wish list is mainly platform/software related.

I mean, @bravenel has stated multiple times that the hub isn't cpu, memory, or io limited in normal use cases... So not sure what new hardware would do for anyone, other than maybe providing new radios... And if there aren't new radios, then I'm not sure what the point of new hardware would be at all?

I believe you are required to support smartstart and a few other things (like s2 Security) to make a certified zwave 700 hub (although I could be wrong), so maybe adding the platform capabilities is what is holding things up?

We'll see when it is released I guess.

3 Likes

I dunno if I'd read much into it. It's the same hub sold worldwide, just a different z-wave dongle depending on region. I'm sure there could be a million other reasons why they have evidently decided to stop shipping to other countries (temporarily, I assume).

Only time will tell :man_shrugging:.

1 Like

Anything at this point is pure speculation.. HE employees have tight lips.. We will know everything when they are ready to tell us..

6 Likes

When has that ever stopped a thread from devolving into a difference of opinions (uninformed, given the lack of actual information on the issue), arguments, ad hominem attacks and eventually premature closure by staff? :rofl:

12 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

That’s not exactly correct. We’ve seen the screenshots of the version of the app with C-7 support and it has S2 and what is perhaps a more robust multiple-hub structure/process.

Of course, what is being tested could very well not be what is released, if anything is ever released. But we at least think we know what they’re thinking.

1 Like

Sounds like a sound rationale for making any conclusions :grin:.

1 Like

We make no announcements prior to announcing something.

Except when we flap them around too much.

I agree.

20 Likes

I love it.. That was the most ambiguous sentence I have read in a while.. :rofl:

10 Likes

Well whatever it is, and whenever it comes - I'm looking forward to it. Who doesn't like new toys? :+1:

7 Likes

Indeed. You can think whatever you want to think, so long as you remember that you know that you don’t know.

5 Likes

I'm waiting for the C-19.

2 Likes