Difference between a Z-wave device and a real Repeater?

I just saw this and thanks for the info. I uploaded the .gbl file to the HE firmware updater, but when I pull up the range extenders to update them the file doesn't show up. I'm on a Mac and not sure if that has anything to do with it.

do you mean the new FW doesn't show up in the Updater or do you mean the RE7s won't load a target FW (to update) in the Updater?

If you go to the "Firmware File Manager" in the Updater tool, does it show the new firmware file as success loaded for use?

My primary issue with the Aeotec RE7s is that they just quit responding (like they aren't even powered up; but of course they are) every so often. I am running v1.03 on them, I see v1.04 bumped the Zwave SDK to 7.15 -- maybe I'll give v1.05 a go and see if that improves things.

Hmm... I did a lot of work with various versions of the Aeotec RE7 firmware, including betas. While I did occasionally see the issue of non responding, I thought it was only with the initial production firmware version (1.2) when using secure inclusion. There were a lot of issues with the HE Z-Wave stack at the time, so perhaps I am misremembering. It's certainly been a long time since I have seen any issues. Also of note, in my experience it did not affect the unit's behavior as a repeater, just the indicator and test functions.

Overall, I like the Aeotec RE7. Unless internal battery backup is required, I really prefer the Aeotec RE7 over the Ring RE Gen2 as a repeater due to the greater transmit power. I do hate the screw nub though... had to cut several of those off. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@dennypage, I'm confident it's not your Hubitat driver. The RE7s do it on a small, separate ZwaveJS environment I have as well. When they go in to the "broken" state, they quit repeating and don't respond to light on/off command. I can, however, tap the button on them and they will send a Node Info broadcast .. but even after that, they will not start repeating and responding to on/off command until I power cycle them. All 8 of the devices I have came with 1.03 firmware FWIW.

Curious if you have any trouble upgrading firmware on these guys? The firmwares are massive (~2.5x bigger than, for example, Inovelli LZW31-SN/Dimmer Red firmware) and I guess my Zwave environment is large/chatty enough that the upgrades fail part-way through. It is taking me ~5-7 tries to get them to take but I'm making progress.

That's very strange. I did not see them stop repeating. I'm not sure how they would be able to send a node info message but not operate as a repeater. When you find one in that state, you might try performing a repair on a nearby node to see if the RE disappears from the neighbor table to confirm.

FWIW, yes I've been able to successfully update firmware. I just did a couple of them 1.4 -> 1.5 as a test. Mine were all initially 1.2 firmware.

Also, do you have the REs paired in secure mode?

2 Likes

You might temporarily move them close to the hub, and do a repair on them. They might get a more direct route and update quicker. I have seen some people use that technique and be successful.

A secondary controller like a Z-stick also really helps for firmware updates. The hub can do it, but with it processing other traffic it is a lot quicker and easier to pair the secondary controller and use it to do the update.

3 Likes

I have two of the RE7 and last night I decided to update them both to v1.05

The first one I tried to upgrade in place. Failed 4 times and I "hijacked it*" from the hub, and moved it closer to another hub. Second try from a distance of 6ft (2m) and it worked. Then I did the same to the 2nd and it worked first try.

*Hijacked:: Using a ZStick that's been reset to not be a secondary controller was put into Exclude mode and I excluded the RE7 without the original hub knowing. I could then Include it to another hub and do the work. When that was done, I again Excluded using the ZStick and just use Replace to get the device right back where it was.

I have upgraded several of my Aeon MultiSensor 6's over the years using in-place so I don't know what was different this time. I even had Zniffer running at the time and nothing was wrong. It just stopped. I'm happy that I've purchased various "tools" to help when I get myself into these spots.

4 Likes

My own personal experience is that the aeotec zwave repeaters are garbage. I pulled mine and put in two ring repeaters where the aeotec ones were. They got picked up right way and I have many devices that repeat through them.

My old house was 3000 sqft all on one floor. I had zwave+ devices (mostly plugs, switches) apparently sprinkled around well enough to not have any routing problems. Even while going from a few to 40+ devices. Even when the switches were inside a metal power distribution box and sharing space with 80 individual 120V/20A (unshielded) wires. And even when that box was inside a closet, with my server, networking equipment, and two wifi routers.

Maybe my experience was a fluke so I never had to think about repeaters. Still, it leaves me wondering... How could I justify buying a repeater when, for much less, I could buy a device I might eventually use to do something useful?

I agree with this approach. Doing a firmware upgrade beyond direct connect is failure prone.

5 Likes

I have a Ring doorbell and have a Ring WiFi Range Extender to connect it to my WiFI router. I never new Ring had Z-wave repeaters. I just ordered one to see if it will work better in my basement where the Aeotec repeaters have not be as reliable as I would like.

YEah, the ring v2 is pretty spiffy.... Also has built in battery so when it switches off main, you can use it as a trigger.

4 Likes

Yeah, same. I even created a separate Zwave network with nothing but a Zstick and the 7 RE7s I have, and after a handful of tries I did get 2 to upgrade but I got frustrated with the other 5. I saw the same deal with a Zniffer, it would just .. stop trying.

I was finally able to get them all upgraded by -- no joke -- taking my laptop/Zstick and the 5 cranky RE7s to the house of a friend that doesn't have any Zwave (ie, nothing on the same frequency to contend with) and they all went first try.

I wonder if this has something to do with the airtime fairness issues that the recent 7.17.1/7.17.2 Zwave SDK updates have been working on. Bummer that this RE7 1.05 firmware only takes the Zwave SDK to 7.15.

trying now with it 2 feet from hub and did a few repairs to get direct connect but weird only at 40k... i see all the packets flying by in the zwawve logs.. but still taking an awfull long time..

success ... one down two to go

2nd one is defectivd will have to contact aeotec right next to hub on -29db.. other one was -65

probably why it never did squat..

I assume that when you say "right next to hub" you are at least 13 inches away which is the minimum distance for reliable communication.

1 Like

That is bad, like impossibly bad or an improbable reading. Supposedly anything much less than 17db is on the weak side, and zero is a whisper. It almost has to be a defective device...

i have determined it is firmware 1,02 in these are a pos..
2nd one same behavior will not stay direct and firmware update stalls.
i even though it might be the s2 so removed and repiared without it.

newer one on firmware 1.03 updated to 1.05 no problem .. So my data points are that firmware 1.02 is so bad as to make the devices unuseable.

It took a while (months?) for them to really come alive, but all of RE7s now have at least one thing routing through them. I can't remember when I updated them to 1.05 in that dormant period, but I'm happy with the RE7s overall. I've updated each f/w since 1.02 and I don't recall ever having a problem with those updates.

Mine are all paired "None" security-- I can't think of any good reason to pair these S2, but I'm open to ideas.

1 Like