Device's name in a rule

I have a simple Rule that alerts me if I left one of my doors open when I leave the house. I would like to put the name of the Device in the notification so I can tell what door was left open.

I can't seem to find a way to get the name of the door that caused the condition. All the variables seem to be for the trigger event. I need to find a way to get the name of the door that was left open.

I tried by creating a local variable, but I can only get the state (open/closed) of the device that triggered. I've tried a few approaches, but Device Name isn't in the options for variable.

I seem to be missing something. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Here is my rule

1 Like

Unless the device triggered the rule (and in your case it won't), you'd need a conditional for each device and the name, manually typed, to add to your string. Not impossible, but it gets complicated with lots of devices.

This complexity is one of the reasons I wrote this app, so feel free to take a look if you want:

But if you don't want a custom app, I have an example of a rule similar to the one you want in that post as well.

4 Likes

Thanks - this is just what I needed!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.