Device Polling \ Status Update

Hello. I have a open door contact sensor i use for my garage door ( Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 Series XS Open | Close Sensor ZSE41 - The Smartest House)

When the door is open the inovelli light strip i have turns red, and when the door is closed the light turns green, then turns off after 10 seconds.

Sometimes, after the door is closed the light stays red and doesn't change to green.

I've changed sensors three times cause this has been driving me nuts (i though the sensors went bad, and yes I changed the battery first before getting rid of the sensor). Can somone tell me how i can force a refresh of the status (or write a rule) to see if that will fix this issue?

If i open the door and close it again this might trigger the light to change to green or it might stay red, or i have to reboot the hub which sometimes works. It's inconsistent.

Thanks for the help!

It sounds as though your Z-Wave mesh may be weak for the sensor. You might add a Z-Wave repeater.

1 Like

I find it always best to try and split a problem like this into two parts - the Device and the Automation.

Is the sensor working properly or not? When your light stays red, open up the ZSE41 contact sensor’s Device details page on your Hubitat hub. Is the sensor status correct? Or is it wrong? If the sensor status is correct, then you may need to troubleshoot your automation. If the status is wrong, then you’ll need to troubleshoot the ZSE41 contact sensor. The sensor may be a little picky about the placement of the magnet. Try various positions to see if you can get reliable open and closed status updates. The status updates also require a strong, reliable Z-Wave mesh network. You may want to post your Z-wave settings page to see if anything jumps out to the community members.

2 Likes

Looks like even with the door closed, the contact sensor still shows open. This is the same problem i've had with all three sensors i've used. The previous two were tilt sensors.

This is a mesh issue and not an app issue. You need to make your z-wave mesh (this is a z-wave device) more robust. From the Hubitat documentation:

4 Likes

Thanks for sending the article. Is there a z-wave repeater you can recommend? Happy to try this and see if this is the issue.

These have been good for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Alarm-Range-Extender/dp/B07ZB2VP4K

3 Likes

Thanks. I think i need a ring camera to use this though right?

Nope, it's a ZWave+ device and works with a native Hubitat driver.

4 Likes