Device not showing up as an option in the automations section

I have an Econet water shut-off valve exposed to HomeKit via the HomeKit App in Hubitat. It shows up in HomeKit. I can open and close the water valve in HomeKit or use Siri. I am having trouble running any automation with it. I attempted to run automation in HomeKit with an Aqara water leak sensor but the water valve is not showing up as an option in the automation section. The Aqara leak sensors are also not showing as an option for automation in Homekit. I have other devices and sensors exposed from Hubitat to HomeKit and are all working and available for automation. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I guess the question is why wouldn't you just run that kind of rule right on hubitat (HSM would do it) instead of bringing it from hubitat to HK to do that? Just curious...

That said, look at the sensor on the HE side of the integration and see what it's being exported as.

2 Likes

AFAIK, leak sensors are currently not used in HomeKit automations.

Yeah I just checked, even though I exposed a water sensor to home kit, it doesn't show up in Homekit room itself for automations but it does show in homekit. @gopher.ny is this a bug?

I know that I can create the automation in Hubitat as well as Eve App or Home+ App since these two apps are seeing these sensors and the water valve. I am using HomeKit as my main app and the home kit integration added to hubitat recently is the only reason I am using hubitat. Devices are being exported correctly, and are being seen as leak sensors and water valves, and they all operate correctly from homekit app if I do it manually or use Siri. When I go to automation I cannot see these sensors or the water valve in the list. However, as I mentioned apps like Eve or Home+ can see them. What I am trying to find out if anyone knows, is why are not showing in that list. Is it an integration issue, drivers, or in general HomeKit app limitations? Other sensors from the same brand are available in the automation list.

AFAIK, leak sensors (from any source) cannot be used in HomeKit automations.

1 Like

It's this. Leak Sensors are not supported in Apple Home automations.

Homekit Native leak sensors are supported. Also, the Flume water sensor is supported and this is exposed to Homekit via Homebridge. A cheap Tuya-based WIFI water shut-off valve exposed to HomeKit via Homebridge is also visible for automation. I had this setup for a few months but the cheap valve stopped working and this is why I got something better that works with Hubitat and is being exposed to HomeKit via the integration. As someone else said and I also said, there are other ways to get this automation done, I believe is the implementation or the limitation of Hubitat implementation for HomeKit. It is still in beta, maybe improvements will be made at a later time. Thank you everyone for your responses.

Hi @user3962 , I am trying to do the same thing, Aqara leak sensors with Leaksmart water turn off valve. Aqara is native in HK and Leaksmart is a Zigbee device exposed to HK through HE. If you go to the leak sensor and click on it, you can choose “Add Automation”. Once I do that, I can’t see the valve.

The next thing I’ll try is to add a virtual switch that mirrors the valve to see if I can control the water valve via the virtual switch.

I was able to get my automation working in HomeKit. I created a virtual switch and created a rule that closes that actual valve when the virtual switch is off and vice versa for on.
My automation has to be built for each sensor. When the leak sensor senses water, it will turn the virtual switch off which will then turn the actual LeakSmart valve off (or close it).