Device Name Not Label

I am working on multiple rules that send message(s) to BlueIris software. To communicate with BI I need to use a shortname defined in BI. In hubitat, I create virtual cameras with a long name (all starting with VM_BI...) within device label and the BI shortname in device name. The problem is I can not seem to retrieve the device name from within RM using %device% because what I put in device label overides device name.

The easy solution would be to put the BI shortname in the device label (or not use label at all) but I am a bit anal when it comes to having an organized list of devices names/labels within Hubitat. I prefer to group a bunch of related devices by name. For example, all virtual motion sensors start with VM_

The best solution for me would be the ability to retireve the device name from with RM. Is this even possible?

Can you set a variable to the device name and then parse it?

Not sure what you mean. I had considered Using the long name with the shortname appended to it.
i.e VM_Backyard Camera1-BY1 but I cant find a way within RM to parse as the only string operations it appears to have is Replace or Remove. I thought maybe I could use wildcards but that doesnt work either.
i.e.
set longName to%device%
Remove "*-" from longName (where * is the wildcard)

Whooohooo. This works

Set shortName with token(1) delimited by '-' from ''%device%(VM_Backyard Cam-BY)'

1 Like

All mine are just named BI CAM - BIShortname. But I'm not using variables or anything like that..

[EDIT] I mis-read your original post. Basically I'm just using the short names for everything.

I have virtual motion sensors that BI triggers via Maker API, and I have a couple rules in RM that trigger cameras to record/alert based on physical motion sensors and doors opening. And one last RM rule that sets BI to Home or Away based on our presence sensors.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.