Device just disappeared

I have just discovered a device has disappeared off my C8 Hub (platform version: 2.3.6.146)
I originally set joined the device up with the C7, and then migrated to the C8 when it was released.
The device is a fan however I am unsure what the actual module model is.
I have 3 zwave controllable devices on 1 switch plate. I cannot remember if 1 of the switches is a double switch relay or a dimmer.
The two other devices on the plate that have wave modules behind them are still working in listed in the C8 UI. They are both listed as Dimmers (my zwave switch devices are Fibaro) and they both function as dimmers both via the physical mech button and the UI.

I have tried excluding the device and retried including again, neither worked. I haven't taken the plate off to have a look at the modules behind as the last time i did this it was quite crowded and I'm not real keen on getting electrocuted or accidentally removing some of the wiring.

I have tried rebooting the hub, device did not magically return :frowning:
I have tried a zwave repair.

Wondering if I power up the C7 Hub if I can get a look at the config to see if the fan was on it's own module or if one of the modules behind the switch plate is a double switch, somehow misconfigured and just displaying 1 switch.

Anything else I can try?

Cheers!

Power off the hub totally, remove power for 10 seconds and reboot. If the issue is with the zwave radio this may help.

Otherwise what you are saying does not make a lot of sense. How you are trying to exclude it if you have not removed the switch cover to access it?

It sounds like you are not even sure if the device is missing from the z-wave details list, or if it is part of a double switch and possibly just missing from the HE devices list?

I think if it was a double switch, you would have a parent device and then 1-2 child devices attached to it. If the devices were separate entries (not nested) then it was not a double switch device.

Speaking of nested devices, are you sure it is not a nested child device you are looking for? You have to click the little > to expand it.

1 Like

I just double checked by removing the faceplate and there are definitely 3 modules controlling 3 switches.
I have tried an exclusion and nothing comes up.
I try a inclusion and I get an error "it looks like youre trying to add a zwave device etc etc"
The physical switch still works so I suspect the zwave module itself is still fine - may just need a factory reset, which will mean a call to the electrician as it's a nest of wires behind there.

Z-wave devices typically have a button on them that must be pushed in order to exclude them from a controller. Putting the hub into exclusion mode without also pushing the button on the device wonโ€™t do anything.

Can you confirm that youโ€™ve tried the two suggestions made by @jtp10181 in his last post?

1 Like

It is VERY NOT NORMAL for a device to just drop itself off the z-wave details list, so I find this very odd. Normally you have to do something on the device to enter exclusion mode, and then also click exclusion mode on the hub. Its not something you can do by accident.

Are you putting the device itself into exclusion / inclusion mode when trying to join it again? It could be a button or even a switch toggle combination on a device like that. The only way a device will include by itself is if you use the Smart Start QR code.

If all 3 modules are the same, if you copy and past the "data" from the bottom of a working one, I can find out what model it is, and maybe find the inclusion directions.

Also, it might be helpful to post your entire Z-wave details page (may take multiple screenshots).

1 Like

I haven't tried the power off just yet, will give that a go later tonight.
I am almost certain if it's a separate module, as it's only powering an exhaust fan, it's either on or off, and there is no PWM, it's a simple smart relay - a Fibaro single smart relay (FGS-212).
I haven't physically touched the module since its inclusion to Hubitat back at the start of this year.
I do have my C-7 still lying around, would powering that on provide any useful information should I be able to get to it via the network?
Cheers!

If you do want to power up the C7, it may start trying to take over as the controller for zwave and zigbee, if it was not reset since the migration. Could probably put some foil around it weaken the signal. Or shut down the C8 while you check it out, so they are not fighting each other.

You could check out the device entry, and the DNI (network ID) from the device page. Then go to Z-Wave details and check on the node number in there. Might want to grab some screenshots. Not sure if it would do anything useful besides possibly confirm that the node is somehow no longer on the C8 hub.

1 Like

Perhaps I could power it up away from all the zwave devices, :thinking:
I shall give this a go cause I now have a feeling the device is listed in the zwave details page, just not assigned to a device. I will report back. Thanks again :slight_smile:

This would be easy to determine, if you have any devices in the z-wave details where the "Device" box is blank. If you do and you can confirm the node # from the C7 then there might be a possible solution to get it functional again. Unorthodox and untested but safe and I think it should work.

2 Likes

So I had another look at the z-wave device list and searched for SPECIFIC_TYPE_POWER_SWITCH_BINARY without a device associated to it. There was ONE device with the device name Device & Device type set to Device
I set the device type to Fibaro Switch and the fan started working. No clue as to why it was renamed, when or how.
Also unsure why the exclusions I tried (probably half a dozen times) resulted in the device still part of the z-wave mesh.
Grateful I didn't ruin the device by trying to include/exclude it too much.
Consider this resolved!
Cheers!

2 Likes

If it was at the bottom of the list, it sounds like you did exclude and include it. The only time a device would get the "Device" driver AND name would be a new device that does not match up any existing drivers.