Device handler for Centralite Temp/Humidity Sensor

Mike,

When you are looking into the Centralite Pearl, can you see if you could implement the Local Temperature Calibration? I ask because if it were "exposed" in the driver, I think I can use it to make the Pearl work with an external temperature sensor and still keep the dynamic operation intact.

Thank

John

1 Like

@mike.maxwell If we could adjust the temp calibration programmatically I would buy a Pearl thermostat TODAY. Since it doesn't natively support external temperature sensors, that would be the only way to make it work the way I want - bias it to match the temp sensor I really want to control off of.

1 Like

Side note... The Remotec ZTS-500 (zwave plus) exposes the deadband and temperature sensor calibration settings as a zwave config capability...

I may snag one and play with it. EDIT: Should be here tomorrow. $79 from amazon.

It's been a little while since you posted this and wanted to check in and see how the remotec is working out for you.. The device looks great, better than the Pearl.

On a side note I just got 2 Pearls set up and now you go and mention THIS device...sigh.

It is working great. I published the device handler for it last weekend. I've been happy enough with it that I'm probably going to go ahead and replace some more of my Ecobee with it - and sell the Ecobee to recoup cost.

Updates are basically instantaneous on the HE side, which is AWESOME! And no cloud,

I wrote an app to use my Xiaomi temp sensors to bias the thermostat temp. Effectively giving me the ability to control off the remote sensor. Obviously if the HE dies/crashes/is unavailable it will just hold whatever the last bias was and keep controlling from there.

Another way to do it would be using a virtual thermostat and running the physical t-stat in manual. I didn't like that, though, because if HE dies/crashes/is unavailable then the t-stat gets stuck in whatever mode it was in when communication stopped.

I will say, though, that the hardware itself is cheap as heck. For instance, when clicking "down" on the face of the thermostat it would get stuck and ramp the temp to min each time until you physically pulled the plastic back out a little. I had to add some adhesive backed thin rubber strips between the outer and inner plastic to make it stop doing that.

1 Like

wrong thread...(me) deleted my post....sorry.

Any update on the indicated Zigbee reporting configuration enhancements?

There are some situations where the fixed 5 minute interval reporting on humidity is too coarse. I’d like to avoid replacing these Centralite devices if possible.

Also it would be nice to allow specifying a humidity offset similar to the temperature offset in the current device driver.

Sadly there have been more pressing issues over the past few months, I was on a roll, but then centraLite announced their financial issues so I moved on to other things...

Ok thanks. Any insight as to the viability of porting the SmartThings driver (in the SmartThings public github library)? I’ll give it a shot unless there is some fundamental reason the Zigbee libraries are incompatible.

I've not looked at this driver from ST, but there shouldn't be any issues porting it.

Ok I’ll give it a go, will update this thread with results.

Back to playing around with this after a long break, Temperature and Battery reporting works, but not Humidity. It seems that the statement:

Map map = zigbee.getEvent(description)

Won't parse the humidity update,

Here is a snippet from the log after inserting a few debug statements in the parse(description) function. "description:" shows the parameter value passed into the above function; "Desc map:" shows the result of:

Map descMap = zigbee.parseDescriptionAsMap(description)

and "map:" shows the result of:

Map map = zigbee.getEvent(description)

The top-most set of log messages shows the unsuccessful parsing of the humidity update.

centralite uses a manufacturer specific cluster 0xFC45 attribute 0x0000 for humidity, zigbee.getEvent won't parse that.
You will need to parse it from descMap and create your own sendEvent or createEvent for it.
None of our built in drivers use zigbee.getEvent(), so It's not well looked after probably.

Thanks Mike, will get to work on it.

Tried going through the thread, didn't see a clear answer. How well is the Centralite Temp and Humidity Sensor working with HE?

Looking for a decent temperature and humidity sensor.

Sorry my response probably will not tell you much as I forgot a lot of the details.

I had tried a Centralite Sensor some time ago and it was useless to me as it took excessively long to respond to a temperature change. I'm now using Aqara sensors and am happy with their performance.

I have one in my shower that manages the fan, simple rule that runs it for 30 minutes when turned on or the sensor reports a humidity 15 points higher than another sensor in the middle of the house.
Takes maybe 2 minutes to turn on when the shower is running...
In other words, works great.

I've found the Centralite sensors to be mostly useless due to the ridiculously slow reporting. I'm using all Smartthings multi-sensors.

Caveat: I'm referring to temp reporting. I have no idea how well the Centralites work for humidity.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.