Device Firmware Updater extremely slow

I have been trying to update a Zooz ZEN27 switch and its going on 30 minutes and at 3% transferring only, the file is only 253 KB. If I turn on debug logging on my switch driver I can see the FirmwareUpdateMdGet reports coming in slowly (about every 15 seconds). I used the older ZWave Firmware Update driver earlier today on the switch right next the one I am trying now (same model), it completed much faster and the events were going off much faster.

At this rate it is going to take hours for this to finish, unless the percentage is incorrect in the app.

This app could really use some logging as well, there is really no way to see what is going on except for the "Unhandled Event" messages from my driver when debug logging is on.

Can’t control the rate at which a device requests part of the firmware.

1 Like

Ok didnt realize it is just waiting for the device to request the chunks. I tried rebooting everything and trying again with the driver and it went just as slow. Noticed that device does not have a direct route, so tried again on another device with a direct route, still going very slow. So no clue now. The other device of the same model/firmware went much quicker, was getting a request about every 2 seconds.

Is there any sort of status messages coming back in between do you know or does the App/Driver just send the chunk requested and then the device gets back asking for another one? Was thinking I could maybe add some logging to the driver if it would help see the issue more clearly. Otherwise I will just have to reach out to the manufacture and see if they know anything. At this rate I will just have to run it before I go to bed and hope its done by morning.

Just FYI

The app uses the request number to generate the % transferred .. The only other status happens at the end of the transfer.

Too bad it didn't report the transfer rate back or something useful to troubleshoot it. I will have to reach out to Zooz on it. The one I started at my last post, about 3 hours ago, is at 23%. Device is requesting a fragment size of 20, is that just 20 bytes or something similarly tiny? That might be part of the slowness, its taking a LOT of back and forth to send this 250KB file. Maybe they can increase that size.

I will have to try restarting things again and see if I can get one to go fast, not sure why some worked fine and others are taking forever.

I think I figured out how to get this to be quicker if anyone else is having issues. After a fresh reboot this morning I tried one again using the driver and it completed in about 15 minutes. So I decided to test the same device again with the app, it was going pretty quick so I aborted (no need to flash it again). After aborting that device was still sending sporadic requests for updates. I tried another device, was going VERY slow. So, I killed and restored the power to the two devices I had tried on, and rebooted the hub. Now I am using the app and it is going quick on the second device I had tried. I think maybe the flurry of messages after aborting the one update was causing the slow downs.

So, if having slowness issues reboot the hub and any devices that you had been trying to update. I had tried rebooting just the hub before but I think restarting it all together was the key.

1 Like

I am having the same problem with the speed updating through the upgrade app. I am trying to update the firmware on a Zooz Zen22 dimmer that has been turning on and off by itself randomly and doing other strange things like getting disassociated from the hub.

When I used the device update driver, it kept getting stuck on the 'wake up sleep device' part and nothing would happen. That's when I found the update app. That seems to be working, but it has run 12 hours and it is only at 65%.

I did restart and factory reset the dimmer before doing this update so that did not help with the slowness. If something happens and I don't wait out the rest of this update, I will reboot the hub and see if that helps the speed. Just wanted to share that someone else is having the slowness with the update app with a Zooz device in case it helps narrow down the cause of the problem.

I would restart the hub and any switches you have tried to update around the same time, thats what seemed to help for me. If you have an "air gap" disconnect pull that to restart the switch otherwise you have to hit the breaker to turn it off.

For it turning off by itself make sure you don't have the auto-off parameter set. I had one of mine doing that then I noticed in the logs it way staying on for exactly an hour. Somehow I had enabled the auto-off. Check out my driver if you need access to the advanced settings: [RELEASE] Zooz ZEN Switches Advanced Drivers

Thanks, I did do the switch restart right before trying the firmware update and it is still slow, if this update dies for some reason, I will try the restart of the switch and the hub and see if that makes it faster.

I have been troubleshooting the on/off with Zooz support for weeks now so I am sure it is not the auto-off parameter. There is no pattern to the on/off behavior and I am using their driver that shows the advanced parameters. I think I just have a lemon and the firmware update is my last effort before I order a different brand replacement.

I had the same problem. Rebooting the hub and the Zooz switch before the update did speed this up. I also tried upgrading using PC Controller and a Z-Wave USB stick. It's much faster than using the Hubitat.

Also, the Zooz switches had to be excluded and included again where Inovelli kept working without the need to exclude/include. Would be nice if Zooz had the same feature as I have more of those.

I have not had issues having to exclude and include my Zooz devices. I think some of them after waiting and I was sure it was done upgrading I powered them off then on again and then they could talk to the hub again. Also try doing a physical tap on the switch to re-establish the ZWave connection.

I'll give that a try since I haven't upgraded the ones with lots of rules associated yet since I'd lose all the rules. Will report back.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.