Device Dropping Off Network Occasionally

Hey everyone,

I have a few hue motion sensor and xiaomi temp/humidity sensor around the house, and or rare occasion one of these sensors will drop off the network.

Is there anyway for HE to send me a pushover notification if a certain device hasn't checked in or send a status report in a certain amount of time?

Bryan (@bptworld) has created an app for that called Device Watchdog.

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you very much!

1 Like

Besides the above, you might also be interested in the cause for the disconnects, which shouldn't generally happen. I'm not sure what might be going on with the Hue motion sensor (is it maybe on the edge of your network without repeaters or the hub in range?), but for the Xiaomi devices, it's quite likely "incompatible" repeaters. They aren't standard devices and don't play well with most. See here: Xiaomi & Aqara Devices - Pairing & Keeping them connected

For the record, Device Watchdog is fanastic, but I usually use it to notify me of devices that have stopped responding because, for example, their batteries died before I noticed (i.e., things that are more or less my fault).

3 Likes

I too, would be more concerned about the reason, rather than being notified of an occurance.

3 Likes

Also, for Xiaomi devices, they should report every 1-2 hours, so set the time to that amount. If it hasn't reported by that time, something is wrong.

Thank you everyone. I am not sure why sensors drop off the network.

It doesn't happen very often, probably one sensor in two or three weeks. Not frequent enough for me to investigate.

Usually it is the same motion sensor, which would probably be a location issue. However this sensor is not at the edge of the network, there are sensor further than this one but continue to function perfectly.

As for the xiaomi sensor, it dropped off yesterday for the first time in 3 months. Again, not sure why.

I have couple of Nue smart outlet around the house which suppose to act as repeater, but it is not proven how effective they are.

I am waiting for ikea repeater to be available here in Australia and I will get a bunch of them around the house, hopefully that will strengthen the mesh and get rid of this issue