Device and App Events Log?

Hello - is there any way to see device and app events together in chronological order? While device events and be viewed in the log, the only way I could see when an app (simple automation rule, RM etc) ran is to go into each each automation and view events.

If this is not possible natively in Hubitat, is there a way to capture app events (like device events) via MakerAPI? I have a Node-Red flow that is logging MakerAPI events to a database but it does not see any automation events.

The best thing to do woudl be to post this directly into the node red thread. They'll be able to weigh in on it better.

1 Like

Don't know about anything else, but I know that logging can be turned on for individual RM rules. This shows up in the main log.

In general, it is recommended to use logging only when you initially setup a device or a new automation. The log file is a rolling 10 MB file, with a spillover of 10 MB (past logs). Filling the log up with descriptionText and debug events will overwrite older "error" events that are essential for Hubitat support to evaluate any problems that may arise with your HE.

1 Like

Maker-API will only send events for all the devices selected in that instance of Maker-API to Node-RED. Maker-API will send no information about Hubitat-based automations running (eg. the execution of a rule).

Thus, the most common use of Maker-API is to permit external control of Hubitat devices, for example, as in using Node-RED to create automation sequences/flows. You can certainly log the execution of NR flows in NR ....

1 Like

Yeah - most of my rules are simple automation rules and don't have this option. What I was thinking was that I could create a virtual device and have that be turned on/off by the automation. I'm guessing that would generate a log entry and get published by the MakerAPI. Thoughts?

Which is why I don't want to be totally reliant on Hubitat logs. Even in the few weeks that I have had Hubitat, I needed to go back and view past actions (I have a very "chatty" multi-sensor) and the logs have rolled over.

One other related question - if I turn off logging, MakerAPI will still publish the events, right?

Thanks

Yes.

Yes.

1 Like