Developing a driver for dimmable light?

While I'm an experienced hardware and software developer, I don't know a ton about Z-wave. I've got a little Silicon Labs dev kit, and I've successfully run some sample firmware on it and connected it to my Hubitat via generic drivers.

Now I'm starting to customize the firmware for my specific application, a tunable LED driver (meaning the hardware has two sets of LEDs, warm and cool, and I want to be able to adjust the color temperature, as well as the brightness). So basically, two adjustable parameters.

So, I'd like to make a custom driver for Hubitat. Is there an existing driver I can start from?

Also, I presume there are there standard Z-wave configurations for a device like this. Certainly for dimmers. Can anyone give me advice on what that would look like from the Hubitat driver perspective?

TIA

I would suggest starting here:

But if you've never developed on Hubitat before, you'll probably want to really start here:

and then maybe here:

Finally, there is example Z-Wave dimmer code here you can look at to see how the various command classes work in a driver, though they are also documented above:

2 Likes