Developement Thread - app for resetting bulbs (Device suggestions welcome)

2 Likes

@michael.l.nelson
Michael, I hope you donā€™t mind, I changed the thread topic to something more appropriate as I want to include switches and what we are actually doing is resetting them to put them into pairing mode rather than joining them.
Iā€™m also trying to attract some switch suggestions :slight_smile:

The 1st version of the app is almost ready and I will release it in the morning (if real life doesnā€™t get in the way)

Andy

1 Like

@Cobra Zooz light switches are 3 quick ups. I would assume they are all the same whether a toggle or a paddle. If @agnes.zooz sees this she can probably chime in on all the rest of theirs.

I never thought of up/down..
I suppose a number of light switches would use this?

Currently, the app only does on/off but I could write a section for up/down
I assume the commands are:
device.up() and device.down()

Andy

Iā€™m thinking of calling the app ā€˜Device Reset Toolā€™ which is the best Iā€™ve come up with so far.

Can I have some suggestions please?
There must be something better!

Andy

But surely this requires physical access to the switch, right? Soft on/off commands shouldn't be able to reset it like a physical tap would...I hope. :open_mouth: (We are talking about the hardwired switches, right?)

True. These are always timed power cuts that are required.

But for the switches, it isn't even power cuts--it's specific button taps. This is different from bulbs where an actual power cut is how the reset is performed and it could work well with, say, a bulb in a lamp that is connected to a smart switch (from which the cuts would be executed). Even if you were to somehow wire a hardwired light switch in this way, I don't see how it could work.

EDIT: I see now that this is maybe exactly what you meant. :slight_smile:

Guys, are you saying that if the switch was wired up to an outlet and toggled the correct sequence this wouldnā€™t work as they need to be physical up/down presses?

If so, that has just saved me a bunch of coding :slight_smile:

Andy

@Cobra I just got this off their manual for Zooz. I had it a bit off.
"If your primary controller is missing or inoperable, you may need to reset the device to factory settings. To complete the reset process manually, toggle-toggle-toggleā€™nā€™hold down for at least 10 seconds."

Sounds like it needs to be physical.

1 Like

@Cobra Yea switches may not be doable

1 Like

Yes. But I thought you were just talking about resetting bulbs. I missed the bit where this changed to switches. Those almost always need a button press. Bulbs would work if you have an outlet that can react very fast, but some bulbs need a 0.5 second pause. Not sure you would be able to reliably achieve that in the needed sequences.

I honestly had not thought about the speed of the outlet switching.
Iā€™ve been testing with virtual switches to confirm the sequences, but will try a couple of outlets tomorrow.
I have an ikea outlet and a smartthings one I can test with.

1 Like

I find the IKEA a bit slow. No surprise given the price.

1 Like

I'm not saying there aren't any out there that might work that way, but, yes, I think your interpretation is correct. (And in my opinion, this wouldn't be a huge loss, anyway--switches are generally much easier to reset that bulbs, many of which are dependent on specific timing...though the hardest part with either is sometimes remembering what the sequence actually is!)

2 Likes

This is the idea for this app.
You wonā€™t need to remember the sequence as the app should be able to do it for you.
(Assuming the outlet is fast enough!)

Andy

1 Like

How about Forget About Remembering Tool or F.A.R.T.

8 Likes

I guess the switches will need to be tested to see which ones are reliable enough. I use Leviton z-wave switches. When I set them to flash they flip pretty fast. It has a default of 750ms which seems fast enough for most bulbs.

I have actually coded some for 500ms but that could be changed if necessary.
I have a couple of spare Fibaro switches here too I will probably test one to do the switching tomorrow to see how fast they are.
There seems to be only a couple of bulbs that require really fast switching anyway.
Most seem to be in the region of 3-5 seconds.

Anyway, itā€™s past 1.00am here so time for bed for me :slight_smile:
Iā€™ll let you guys know tomorrow how I get on (and will probably release the app in the morning so you huys can have a play too)
@stephack
Not sure about your name suggestion :crazy_face:

Andy

1 Like