Determining Z-Wave Device Security Settings on a C5

I've noticed a Dome Leak Detector on a C5 is burning the battery at a fairly high rate so I suspect the detector is running S0. My C7 clearly shows the Z-Wave security settings but I'm not seeing that info on the C5. Is there a quick way to determine the detector's Z-Wave security setting from the C5's screens?

I can take a stick and laptop to the C5's location but would prefer to avoid the trip if possible. Thanks.

The only type of Z-Wave security pairing that the C-5 can do is S0. What does your device page show? Does the device page show that it is paired securely? If so, it’s S0. The choice is S0 or no security.

That's the question. On the C7 I see the Security column, but it's not on my C5 Z-Wave Details screen.

On the individual device screen I don't see any reference to security either. Does that mean it's set to None?

The Secure Join selector chooses how devices are joined when included. This screenshot is from my C-5 (now idle, all devices moved to my C-7). Can you show the bottom screenshot from the leak detector’s device page?

On the C5 and earlier, the easiest way to tell is to go to the device detail page and look for this in the data section at the bottom:

Or from the zwave details page look for cluster 0x98.

3 Likes

Check if any of the S0 security command classes show up in the inClusters under the device details.

@ 672southmain - Good one. I never noticed the Secure Join box.
@ 672southmain & @JasonJoel - zwaveSecurePairingComplete is missing. So that's good.
@aaiyar - I looked through those and didn't see any hits.

So I guess it's paired correctly and just has an apatite for batteries... I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies.

2 Likes

It could also be a distance thing. If it has to transmit a ways to get to the next hop it can decrease battery life. Put a repeater in the area (like an aeotec) then do a z-wave repair and see if it improves

check z-wavealliance.org and see if your device shows under the S2 devices. if it does, add it as S2. if it doesn't, add as S0

(1) the thread caption says this is a C-5. S-2 is not an option.

(2) this device is a Dome Leak Detector, as stated on the first post of the thread. No need for security.

(3) that ((1) and (2)) is why I posted the screenshot showing the Secure Join selector on a C-5, above.

1 Like

Good thinking. This is an new installation of my old C5 in a small townhouse. All of the mains powered Z-Wave devices are on the 1st floor; the leak detector is the only device on the 2nd floor, I plan to install another switch on the 2nd floor within arm's reach. That will be interesting to see if it makes a difference with battery life.

Here's the end of the story for the archives re the Dome Leak Detector battery saga.

With five new Z-Wave devices on the 1st floor running solidly for about three weeks, the one lonely Z-Wave leak detector upstairs has settled down to a steady 86% battery level. My guess is the battery was getting consumed as each new switch came online downstairs and the mesh sorted itself out. Everything is working as expected now.

Thanks for all the tips.

1 Like