Detect HVAC Status (Nest Stuff Again...)

My wife likes the Nest and doesn't want it to change.. so that's where we're at on that issue.

I was holding on to my Nest account for the integration, but it turns out it hasn't been working since December. So RIP that, I guess. I switched over to a Google account.

The only thing I really used the integration for was to get the thermostat status and use that to run my keen vents. I'm trying to think if there's an analog way I could do the same thing and link that data up to a virtual thermostat for the vents. A vibration sensor and temp sensor in the HVAC closet maybe?

Put a temp sensor in a duct, when the temp goes down by a couple of degrees, you are cooling. Reverse it for heating? Use this data to cause a virtual thermostat to go into the thermostat operating state needed?

I would use temperature sensors in each of your rooms, and adjust your keen vents when the difference in temperature exceeds whatever bounds you place on it. Your rule should have a PB so that it not triggered within an hour of the first trigger.