[Deprecated] Web Pinger

Had the EXACT same issue yesterday morning. I had commented to Bryan a few days ago that I was running 2.07 and everything fine should i upgrade. I upgraded to 2.09 about 2 days ago and the Sylvania zigbee plug i have my modem connected to thats tied into web ping started behaving strange. I noted it shut down 3am 6/15. When i got up the internet was down because the switch had shut off the modem. I figure I'd just unplug an plug it back in. The modem came back but a few minutes later it shut off again. Took the switch and plugged it into another outlet an did the same thing. I decided to upgrade to 2.10 and later to 2.1.1 but also disassociated the switch from web ping. I asked Bryan if he could put on his to do list the option to have a second option to auto reset the switch WHEN the internet becomes AVAILABLE again to previous switch setting after a certain amount of minutes to hopefully avoid this ocurring. Also for some strange reason my Hubitat hub jumped to a different IP address yesterday . Crazy stuff!! Bottom line my switch recycled like yours but I'm no longer using that option on web ping and since doing that the Sylvania zigbee plug is working fine but getting this error after updating to 2.1.1

Past Logs

*(http://192.xxx.0.xxx/logs/past#app1679)2020-06-16 01:35:00.071 pm errorgroovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: user_app_BPTWorld_Web_Pinger_Child_450.poll() is applicable for argument types: () values: [] Possible solutions: wait(), run(), run(), find(), dump(), any() (poll)

app:16792020-06-16 01:33:00.324 pm debugIn getHeaderAndFooter (2.1.1)

**** Update****
I just removed the child and added it back with same options and all seems fine now BUT still don't know if I utilize the option to Auto reset and shut the switch if I'll have the same issue of switch recycling off and on

As always when reporting problems...

• Be sure you are on the latest version. I won't troubleshoot an older version.
  • Turn on debug and screenshot the issue happening in the log, one line or just the error doesn't cut it. I need a log.
  • Post the screenshot of the log with an explanation of the problem.

Thanks

New version on GitHub...

Child:
2.1.2 - 06/16/20 - More changes. Make sure to re-input your Switches.

This is what the app does already.... You would want to do the second option.

"Turn Switch(es) ON if URL is not available, OFF if everything is good."

and/or

"Turn Switch(es) OFF if URL is not available, ON if everything is good."

My apologizes Bryan. I thought if you had internet service the plug would be ON ,BUT once internet connection was lost the app would just turn the switch off and NOT turn it back on again.

Does version 2.12 have anything to do with the cycling of mine and rgb.bob's switches? Craziest thing yesterday. The switch kept going off. I would turn it on an a few minutes later it went off again. It did that a number of times and my internet was functioning fine at that time. Since removing it from the app the switch is fine.

When i update to 2.12 do i have to remove my previous child first? Thats what caused the issues from going from 2.10 to 2.11. Once i removed and added back the child the error disappeared. Tony

No problem. You shouldn't have to remove anything, just over right it. Just be sure to go into each child app and make sure your settings are what you want them to be as things could have changed in the app.

Everyone uses it differently, so my advise is always to 'try it'.

Thanks

1 Like

@bptworld Bryan, I am still seeing odd behavior with the latest version (updated this morning)

See the attached log where it appears to be alternating between on and off despite all responses from google being 200.

At the moment, I have my router bypassing the controlled outlet, so it's not actually power cycling but the switch is still being controlled.

app:6102020-06-18 02:30:15.356 pm debugIn turnOnHandler - Switches 2 - Resetting - Turning off Router Switch
app:6102020-06-18 02:30:00.249 pm debugIn pollHandler - Successful response (200) from google.com - All Good
app:6102020-06-18 02:30:00.247 pm debugIn pollHandler (2.1.2) - Response was 200
app:6102020-06-18 02:20:00.366 pm debugIn turnOnHandler - Switches 2 - Turning on Router Switch
app:6102020-06-18 02:20:00.314 pm debugIn pollHandler - Successful response (200) from google.com - All Good
app:6102020-06-18 02:20:00.312 pm debugIn pollHandler (2.1.2) - Response was 200
app:6102020-06-18 02:10:15.334 pm debugIn turnOnHandler - Switches 2 - Resetting - Turning off Router Switch
app:6102020-06-18 02:10:00.255 pm debugIn pollHandler - Successful response (200) from google.com - All Good
app:6102020-06-18 02:10:00.252 pm debugIn pollHandler (2.1.2) - Response was 200
app:6102020-06-18 02:00:00.409 pm debugIn turnOnHandler - Switches 2 - Turning on Router Switch
app:6102020-06-18 02:00:00.348 pm debugIn pollHandler - Successful response (200) from google.com - All Good
app:6102020-06-18 02:00:00.345 pm debugIn pollHandler (2.1.2) - Response was 200
app:6102020-06-18 01:50:15.501 pm debugIn turnOnHandler - Switches 2 - Resetting - Turning off Router Switch
app:6102020-06-18 01:50:00.409 pm debugIn pollHandler - Successful response (200) from google.com - All Good
app:6102020-06-18 01:50:00.407 pm debugIn pollHandler (2.1.2) - Response was 200
app:6102020-06-18 01:40:00.344 pm debugIn turnOnHandler - Switches 2 - Turning on Router Switch
app:6102020-06-18 01:40:00.292 pm debugIn pollHandler - Successful response (200) from google.com - All Good
app:6102020-06-18 01:40:00.290 pm debugIn pollHandler (2.1.2) - Response was 200

PLEASE unformat the log. It's not readable. Again, as posted in the first post, screenshots work best.

Rjb, I had the same problem .I know you shouldn't have to do this but i found everything was corrected when I removed the child that was utilizing the switch and then putting in a new child with the same parameters. Everything cleared instantly and then I upgraded to the newest version STILL WITH NO ISSUES.Its worth a try. Its now been 24 hours and the switch has not been shutting off and on. It has stayed on for almost 24 hours. Tony

1 Like

OK. I'm a little confused why it's unreadable for you, it's perfectly readable for me even on my phone. But here you go:

1 Like

Rjb ,any luck removing that error? Its been 3 days for me and all still good. Tony

Nope. I tried creating a new child and it has the same problem.

Wow, i thought for sure a new child would fix it. Ya think it may be the switch itself? If its z wave maybe exclude and then add back. Really strange because once I removed old child, installed new one and rebooted hub everything started working fine again

I doubt it, the log clearly shows it turning on and off alternately. I've also tried it with two different plugs since I don't want it to actually reboot my router.

I actually completely uninstalled and reinstalled the app with package manager and still see the same behavior

Here are my settings in case that helps.

. There is only one thing that I didn't check off- the auto reset switch. You've done EVERYTHING IMAGINABLE, have you ever unchecked that auto reset switch? I use turn off switch when internet lost then it will turn switch back on when internet restored. It controls my modem NOT my router because if router turned off then Hubitat can't contact your devices.. Worth a shot. Just uncheck that auto reset switch and make sure you click done and see what happens

I don't have a modem, just the router, so I wouldn't be able to connect to the internet to test for good if I couldn't turn it back on.

I will try unchecking it and creating a separate simple rule to turn it back on. Maybe that will work.

Just uncheck the auto switch first. See if that works. You then could try rules BUT again I don't think a Hubitat rule will work to turn your router on because Hubitat relies on the router to talk to other devices including that switch

Not for Zigbee and Z-Wave devices. It works fine in the absence of wifi

So disabling the the auto-reset option has eliminated the power cycling, neither the "on" nor the "off" log messages appear. So this looks like a bug. I would expect it to only turn the switch back on if it had previously turned off due to the ping failing and to never turn it off based on the reset option with my configuration.

Great! Glad we zoned in on the issue. But now I'm confused. I understand if internet is down Hubitat still works through Wi-Fi but if your router is switched off, what is Hubitat using to transmit Wi-Fi signal through? Are you saying the Hubitat hub is transmitting the signals by itself without the use of the routers Wi-Fi? See that, I just learned something lolo. Let me know how you make out with that rule.

ZWave and Zigbee are different wireless protocols that use different radios in the Hubitat hub. They aren't using Wifi and as long as the Hubitat Hub is powered on they work without an Ethernet or WiFi connection.

When talking to devices of this type in your home, the apps and device handlers run on the hub itself and your network is only necessary if you are trying to access the hub through your browser. SmartThings is a little different in that other than a few supported device types, most code runs in the cloud on Samsung servers and does require an Internet connection. That's not the case with Hubitat and one of the advantages over SmartThings IMO.