[DEPRECATED] Kasa Plug, Switch, and Bulb integration

Anyone know if it is possible to downgrade firmware if we already updated? lol

Also do we know what the affected FW versions are?

You may be able to prevent. The Application has an option to "Unbind" devices. This essentially deregisters from the cloud. It has the following impacts;
Kasa App - works only when on your home LAN.
Alexa/Google integrations with Kasa - no longer work.

1 Like

Thanks. Just did this as a precaution.

1 Like

CLOUD Integration Completed

A cloud-based integration has been completed. Has all functions except Quick Polling (not realistic over cloud?).

Use: If you have some devices that the no longer connect, this should work to solve the problem.

Instructions:
Go to link: "HubitatActive/KasaCloudDevices at master · DaveGut/HubitatActive · GitHub"
(I will create the installation instructions when time permits. Hopefully Hubitat Package Manager installation will be added soon.)

It is a typical installation:

• Install Application
  • Select your required Drivers from the driver folder.
  • Install Drivers
  • Run Application
    • Enter username and password
    • Select devices, then done.
    • Test your devices

Good luck.

3 Likes

Great, thanks very much :+1:

1 Like

I just have a couple of Kasa bulbs. Do I need to update this driver?

Anyone else getting

dev:652020-11-26 05:40:06.219 am warnGreat Room - Fireplace SendCmd: IP address updat attempted within last hour./nCheck your device. Disable if not longer in use.

spammed in their logs along with a lot of

dev:652020-11-26 10:32:06.039 am warnGreat Room - Fireplace socketStatus = send error: Broken pipe (Write failed)

recently?

I have been having some overall hub stability trouble as of late and support brought these two massive amount of logs to my attention.

No. The new driver is for if you are having problems / issues.

Dave

1 Like

What is the explicit device and driver version? Is it just one device or several TP-Link devices. For the first message, how frequently?

Your device is not reachable using protocols in the driver. This is not spam. It is a message to you that the device is not communicating with Hubitat. The frequency is controlled by the refresh interval you have set in the driver and the fact there is a problem with (I assume) the device.

Error message. The first message is indicative that your device is not reachable on the IP address set in Hubitat. This can be caused by

• Device IP has changed. I believe you use static IPs, but it is worth checking.
  • Device is unplugged / unpowered. Again, worth checking.
  • TP-Link has forced a firmware update to the device that disables the 9999 port used in this set. A fix is in-place for this error, using a Cloud-based integration for problematic devices.
  • Something on your hub is interfering with raw socket integration.

The errors will continue every refresh interval (you are not quick-polling) until you correct or disable the device. If it is the updated firmware, I already have a fix using a cloud connection.

My current status (current driver): Looking at the past logs on my Hub, I see no error or warning message for my 20 TP-Link devices (HS105, HS220, Bulbs, HS107, and HS300).

Driver updates:
Available cloud-based integration. Done and available as Kasa Cloud Integration (see earlier messages)
Update to this series:

• Add disable code to driver to disable device after so many consecutive failed messages.
  • Add CLEAR message on driver's page of this error.
  • Allow error clearing by executing the refresh command.
  • Look into updating IPs by calling integration application.
1 Like

Local Kasa Version updated to 5.3.3.
Update reason: Error processing not terminating quick poll and refresh.
Changes:

• After 10 consecutive error raw socket commands, both Quick Polling and Refresh will be disabled.
  • When the problem is corrected, user will need to run a SET PREFERENCES to restart the polling functions.

I did a correction to the code. It will stop all refresh/quick polling after 10 consecutive errors. Refresh from routines, etc. will still work. Only way to fix is to run a Save Preferences after the device problem has been resolved.

Dave

1 Like

I just bought all HS110 plugs that were in stock in town today to get devices with the old firmware still on them. I got them cheap as well on the Black Friday sale. None of my TP-Link devices have access to the Internet on my network so they shouldn’t go and sporadically upgrade their firmware either. I’ll hopefully be set now for the foreseeable future :wink:

3 Likes

I only have issues with my HS110, which I stupidly upgraded the firmware of.
Driver: v5.3.3
Device: v1.2.6

One of my devices is having a lot more broken pipe messages than the other, 400 vs 20 over a 7-hour period. I am going to contact Kasa support and see if they can authorize a firmware downgrade. I will let you know that that goes.

The cloud integration should also work. Only delta is that the cloud does not have quick polling capabilities.

Would you run some test code (totally non-obtrusive to your installations) to see what is going on with the HS-110. It may give me some insight and other ways to repair.

Dave

1 Like

Sure, though it seems like I am getting somewhere with support and they may downgrade me.

Update: They elevated my concern to a support ticket with a "Senior Engineer" so we will see how that turns out. In the meantime, I am able and willing to troubleshoot as necessary @djgutheinz. Also for anyone else that wants to downgrade, I just cited this thread on TP-Link's forums and hopefully it will come of something.

1 Like

For information: on each of the devices, what was the polling frequency??? Upgrade to latest version of Drivers (yesterday). This may help some.

Dave

15 seconds

Drivers are up to date, already 5.3.3

This is probably user error.... I just added an HS100 plug to my network. I can control it through the Kasa app fine.

In Hubitat, I went to to Kasa Integration app, and I see the plug I want listed.

Joel's Room Christmas Lights No Kasa Plug Switch

So I go to install kasa devices, select the plug, and hit done, and after a moment it takes me back to the app's homescreen and shows the same thing as before for the plug.

I'm on the latest version of the app (through HPM) and Hubitat 2.2.2.129.

Is the HS100 on the latest firmware perhaps? There has just recently been a new firmware version released from TP-Link which disables local control. @djgutheinz has released another version of the app that is now using cloud instead to control these devices that have had the local access cut off on them. It’s all discussed 20 or so posts up from here, starting with this one:

1 Like

That other version is on HPM as "Cloud Kasa Integration". Before updating, remove the device you need cloud service from Hubitat. Otherwise it will not install. I am working on a single-app and driver set version that allows choosing cloud or local integration on a device-by-device basis. This will take several weeks.

Dave Gutheinz