[Deprecated] Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan Controller Driver (with Component Devices)

Same here, have you found one?

On sale now at Home Depot. I've had three for a while and they work great. They were $49.95

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on the price drop! Great price for a solidly useful component. Ordered one for my Kitchen fan.

1 Like

I've been using these controllers for about 2 years now but now I'm seeing some really funky activity. We all know there is a main device with 2 child devices. In my case the main device is "controller" and the child devices are "fan" and "lights". When turning off the "fan" child in the past the "lights" stayed on. Now I'm intermittently seeing that turning off the "fan" child turns off both "fan" and "lights". When looking further into it I find turning off the "fan" child sometimes is turning off the "controller" parent now.

What method are you using to turn on/off? Alexa? HE App? Other?

It happens intermittently no matter what interface I use. Siri, Alexa, The device buttons in HE, rule s, etc. It also happens sometimes with the remote that comes with the controller so I know it's not an HE thing. The controllers just go wonky over time. I'm actively looking for something better.

For example this morning my "workday wakeup" rule turned off "Bedroom Controller" instead of "Bedroom Fan" so the lights didn't work. Yesterday, and numerous days before it, it acted correctly and only turned on off "Bedroom Fan".

I just want to mention here, I've found that having a Peanut Zigbee outlet in the same room as the fan seems to stabilize all the response issues I was having. They're so cheap, I just use it as a repeater.

Most zigbee bulbs don't work very well as repeaters.

1 Like

Yes, peanut plugs are great repeaters.

1 Like

But do note that some people have bad luck with them. :slight_smile: (I wouldn't throw out any you have if they work for you, but I'm not personally planning on buying any or recommending them for this reason.)

2 Likes

interesting information, I've had mine for over a year now, without issue.

There is a built in driver and this community driver. Which are you using? Maybe try the other one?

Built in, it's not the driver. I get the same weirdness with the included remote, see my previous post.

I have a Peanut Plug (which was thrown into the box when I bought an Almond+ in 2013). I have no complaints, but I have also found that the Tradfri plugs from IKEA make excellent repeaters and I have one sitting on the wall about 8 feet from an HBFC that works flawlessly...

Is there a reason that fan speeds like medium-high don't work?

i don't see any children on the bottom of the Fan Device.

(Using the Hubitat driver)

I have yet to see either of my Hampton Bay Controllers show up in my Zigbee Routing Info. Anyone else see this, or not see I should say....:slight_smile: I have a repeater close to both and for the most part they work pretty good.

I have two of these. One routes through a repeater (the one closest to the HE hub) but the other one seems to be able to reliably direct connect.

Mine don't show up period. Direct or thru repeater, but work. :man_shrugging:

It's my understanding, unless the device is a repeater, or is using a repeater, it won't show up.

The 2nd fan does not show up on my list.

Geez, that was brilliant! Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.