[DEPRECATED] Enhanced GoControl GC-TBZ48 Z-Wave Thermostat Driver

@JasonJoel I just looked at 1 of my thermostats. Batteries are dead again. This was within 4 days

Just FYI, hubitat release 2.0.9 has a built-in driver for this thermostat. May be worth trying to see if it helps your battery issues.

Also, another thing to check is on the thermostat itself, go into the Menu --> Info and see if it thinks it is in battery mode or AC power mode (have to down arrow a few times to get to that entry).

It probably wont, the built in driver uses the default report settings.

I see they just released the new update. I will give that a try

Should I first remove the custom driver then update? How do I go about getting the thermostats on the new driver?

Definitely double check the menu --> info to see if it thinks it is battery powered or AC powered. Also, may double check your backlight settings while in there - too much use of backlight zaps battery on this model, too.

If for some reason it is in AC Power mode, the only way I know to change it is to unpair it from the zwave network, factory reset the thermostat from the menu, and then re-pair it to the zwave network.

I looked at my Menu-->info I don't see anything about AC power or battery.

You know that's interesting. There's no reference to that in the manual either. But on all four of my thermostats if I go into menu and then info and then up arrow the first thing it says is AC powered.

When I hold the Fan Button to get into the Menu, Click the up arrow, the first thing that pops up is Battery 66%. Do you have a C wire on yours?

Yes, all of mine are cwire powered.

But I meant hold fan until you get in the menu, up/down arrow until info, select, then up arrow. That's where I see ac powered. Not sure what it looks like on battery powered devices, though.

But if yours does not say ac-powered there, that's probably a good thing.

I think your's says AC power because you do in fact have it on AC power. Since I don't have this, my only says battery

Yeah, so I guess that is good. I've seen a number of thermostats get stuck in "ac power" mode, even if on battery - and that destroys battery life as it acts as a zwave repeater.

I'm out of suggestions. :man_shrugging:

So I haven't upgraded to the new version of Hubitat yet. Should I remove my Thermostat from Hubitat first, Uninstall the customer driver. UPDATE Hubitat and re-pair the thermostat?

No real need to un-pair/re-pair if it is already in battery mode (which it looks like it is). You obviously CAN un/re-pair, but there isn't a specific need to.

Since it appears to be paired correctly, you can switch drivers as you see fit at any time. Just remember to set/save the Parameters, wait a few seconds, then hit configure.

In 2.0.9 the new in-box driver is named "GoControl Z-Wave Thermostat".

I'm not optimistic this is going to fix your issue. But here's hoping it does. If it doesn't, then maybe un-pair/re-pair under version 2.0.9.

Should I remove the customer driver before upgrading to new version? Or will Hubitat just use the new driver? Or... is this driver something I can choose?

It only changes driver on pairing, or when a user tells it to/selects a new driver in the device details (just like you should have done when switching to my user driver - if you didn't you were never using my driver at all...).

Got it. So under the device, I choose TYPE: Enhanced GoControl GC-TBZ48 right now. I should be able to change this from here with the new version?

Correct. So after upgrading to 2.0.9, you could:

1. Go to device details of the thermostat
  2. Change driver type to "GoControl Z-Wave Thermostat"
  3. Click the Save Device button
  4. After screen refreshes, configure Preferences as desired
  5. Click Save Preferences
  6. Wait 30 seconds to allow time for the preferences to save (doesn't actually take that long on the stock drivers, as there are only a couple of preferences to save - it takes much longer on my user driver as there are a lot of parameters to save).
  7. Click the "Configure" command button

Got it now...Thanks

I'm thinking about replacing my current thermostat with a GC-TBZ48. What is the smallest calibration setting (i.e. Is it by whole degrees F or by .5)?