Delayed or spotty automations

Your front door sensor has a slow connection at 9.6kps, and it's making a hop through the master bedroom light to get to the hub. You might want to try adjusting the location/orientation of your hub to see if that helps.

1 Like

The weird thing is that the front door is directly across the hub, in a clear line of sight. The master bedroom is upstairs and with a few walls in between :expressionless:

I'm now considering doing the external z-wave antenna mod from another thread.

1 Like

Z-Wave routing is a mystery in an enigma, surrounded by raspberry jam...it's impossible to guess how things will route, and logic (as we see it) is often not followed. The devices and the Z-Wave SDK do the heavy lifting w/routing, HE cannot control it. And sometimes what looks like bad/loopy routing will work perfectly for some reason.

The external antenna mod is pretty much universally hailed, so you can't go wrong there, but it generally should not be required if you have your hub in a good spot centered in your home, and have a good mesh built.

You can also first try repositioning your hub so that it's standing on it's nose, vertical, which may help w/the radio dispersion pattern.

Also - just to confirm - you did the Z-Wave Radio FW update when you did the update to .142, correct?

1 Like

Quick update here... Thank you all so much for your input. Every bit has helped.

I'm still testing, since it's an intermittent issue, but I find that what has made the most difference is removing an in wall Z-Wave light switch that was installed 3 feet above the hub. Now, this switch was one of the 2 encrypted iNovelli switches, so that detail may be more relevant than its proximity to the hub.

I'm thinking about taking these steps next:

1 - Mounting the hub on the wall
2 - Re-pairing the remaining encrypted switch without security enabled
3 - Doing the external antenna mod

p.s. Yes, I had previously installed the latest firmware / zwave sdk updates and it had made no difference..

1 Like

If you do this, I'd wait a couple days to let any effects of the new radio orientation settle in. Then add back the switch w/out security.

The antenna mod is pretty universally hailed...but requires a very steady hand w/the soldering iron. :slight_smile: Not in my capability zone. :smiley:

1 Like