Delay timer issues, fan humidity control

The attached rule is intended to switch on the fan when the humidity exceeds a set point and run it for 30 minutes.

In practice this works for the first delay and then is somewhat erratic thereafter.

How can I modify the rule to work consistently or is it a feature.

Thanks all

I suspect that the issue is because the rule will be triggered multiple time. If you want to limit the running time to 30 minutes, you will need to set something up that stops the rule from running if it is already running.

1 Like

Did you mean to substitute a y for the t in uyility? Could that be part of your problem? I mean if you also have a correctly spelt variable in existence.

Thanks for the reply. I had spotted the typo but was reluctant to correct it as it is a local var and as far as I know I can only change the connector name in the device handler and would need to delete and re-create to change the name fully. To be honest I don't really understand 'connectors' at the moment.

Wouldn't it work if you change the predicate to the fan has to be off? Or at least that is part of the predicate? Plus a cancel like @Sebastien was hinting at....

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I am not understanding how rules work if this is the case. I had assumed that once the trigger is triggered it would then complete the actions before triggering again.

The sensor is not that reliable in terms of frequency of update, the sensor in use is a Sonoff which is more reliable than the Aqara but is roughly every 5 minutes but can go longer.

How to you stop the re-triggering, would I need to put a condition of 'fan is off' around the actions?

2 Likes

That's what I am thinking, but more so in the predicate. Let me put something a little more detail together...

1 Like

Thanks. The predicate is currently there to prevent the fan operating between two times set in my dashboard, setting the 'autofan' switch only during the on and off times.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Predicate: (add 1 new condition)
UtilityFanAuto is on --> Guessing this is some kind of switch to say this rule is active...
Utility Fan: Off

Triggers: (no change)
Humidity of UtilityTemp2 reports >= UtilityFanHumiditySP

Actions: (A few changes....)
On: Utility Fan
Off: Utility Fan Wait / Delay for 60 mins (Cancellable)

Add another rule or update an existing rule:

Trigger:
UtilityFanAuto becomes off
OR
Utility Fan becomes off
Actions:
Cancel delayed actions in rule above

1 Like

Rules will be triggered every time the trigger condition is met. This can cause a rule to run multiple times and as you have experienced, will cause some issues.

@sburke781’s approach to mitigate this is excellent!

1 Like

Thanks @Sebastien. I always feel like there is a more concise way of doing these type of rules... but this is always the first solution that comes to mind... You could possibly overload the one rule with a few different triggers and more complicated logic, but I tend to find two rules an easier read personally.

1 Like

I have made the suggested changes as per attached with the modification that I wanted to add the cancel to the rule that sets UtilityFanAuto switch.

When I try to add the cancel timer command to the end of the rule although I check the box for UtlityFanV2 it does't step on or take any action, I can only cancel to continue. Any ideas.

1 Like

Hmmm, no.... maybe try again.... Perhaps it is a cache type issue....?

Could it be the type of cancel action you are selecting, I need to check what the options are, but could a delayed action be different to a timer...?

Do you not see something like this? Doesn't seem to matter what rule I choose, whether it be one's with a cancellable timer or not, they each display the "Done with this action" option.

Screen shots attached. It does register the update, cancels the tick box but doesn't show the Done with this action. I will try another PC later and let you know.

The rest of your suggestions are working fine but I will continue to monitor.

Many thanks for all your help.

Chris

1 Like

Could be a RM 4 vs 5 thing, I am currently still using RM4. Let us know how it goes, glad we could help.

1 Like

I have rebooted my hub but still no luck. I have sent a message to Hubitat support to see if they can help.

I have a background in process control so I am familiar with control systems and perhaps I am on the wrong foot with HE 's approach.

Is there some background reading I need to do?

Thanks once again for your time and assistance.

Chris

I'm hoping it might be just a different interface between RM4 and 5. Certainly different to what I am used to. I think the logic is sound, so hopefully support can set you on the right path... or someone else here n the meantime.

What options do you get in the "Select rule type to stop"? And were both rules created in RM5?

I have only ever used RM5 which is the only option offered. I am fairly new to HE so went with the latest option, not sure previous version available as default.

I guess that people who are invested in the previous version are reluctant to migrate if there are a lot of rules to rework.

Yes and no, but that was not so much the reason I was asking, was only thinking if there could be any issue with cancelling an RM4 rule from RM5, not likely, but at least worth asking. Probably one for the support gurus I expect.