Delay OFF timer in Simple Lighting?

I am using a motion sensor to turn a bulb on. Is there not a simple delay off timer. I was wanting to have 30 minutes of no motion to turn off the bulb.

It looks like Motion Lighting Apps can do it. I guess I don't understand what the purpose of Motion Lighting has or Simple Lighting

I haven't used either in months so I can't speak for the current itterations, but Motion Lighting should be what you are looking for. It was designed with motion activated lighting in mind. You can use Rule Machine as well...but you probably don't need all that horse power....ML should give you all the options you need.

Quite a lot more capability in Motion Lighting. Have a look at the doc

What are you using in place of ML?

A simple smartApp I wrote.

Simple Lighting is the easiest way to do this. It has the timer, you can set it for 30 minutes.

1 Like

I've never messed around with Simple Lighting or Motion Lighting... straight to RM I go, if it can't do it then I'll either find a custom app or write (modify) one myself.

OK, I'm stumped. I looked for a timer in there and didn't see it. The way I did it back on ST in their built-in Smart Lighting app was to was to use the trigger action of Power Allowance Exceeded set at 30min. I looked for the equivalent in Simple Lighting and can't find it or the timer you are referring to. I did see that timer however in Motion Lighting. Maybe it's that one you are referring to?

Yeah sure, "Power Allowance Exceeded" = timer. What a dumb thing that was!

1 Like

Oh my, if I had looked any closer it would have bit me. :flushed: Thanks!

I don't know what ST intention was with that name, but it sure made it easy to set an OFF timer to any light device without a motion trigger condition. In one of my use cases when I flipped a smart wall switch in the garage I could monitor that switch and turn on a smart bulb in an antique pull chain fixture located in the garage storage area around the corner. I timed out that storage bulb to turn off after 10 minutes but still let me work in the main garage lighted area. I did the same thing in the bedrooms using the light switch to trigger on the closet lighting but only the closet lighting turns off after 10 minutes. I'm weird huh? :slight_smile:

You can do this same thing with a simple RM trigger. I use it for bathroom fans.

Trigger event: switch on
Action: turn off switch after x minutes

1 Like

Sweet! I am setting up some rules now just to get to playing with it's power. Nice work! I am humbled by all you guys at HE.

1 Like

I am glad I've ran into this thread, I love Simple Lighting already :slight_smile: